Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gromitt82 Posts: 370, Reputation: 23

Sep 22, 2008, 09:20 AM
    Immigrtion problems
    The European Episcopal Commission of Immigrations, worried about the recent EU decision to adopt a directive fighting illegal immigration, have issued the following note ADDRESSED TO THE European Authorities concerned:

“We appeal to the members of the Parliament of the European Union and to the Governments of all the nations integrated therein by asking them to respect in their directives the dignity and the fundamental rights of immigrants independently of their legal situation. We wish to stress that all precautions should be taken in these directives to avoid equating immigrants without legal papers with delinquents, as it is often done without any sustaining evidence to that effect”

How would you rate this initiative from the European Bishops?

Have the American Churches undertaken any similar approach to the problem of immigration?

In Spain, in the last 2 years, we have received over 4 million immigrants, of which well over 1 million illegally.
    Galveston1 Posts: 362, Reputation: 53

Sep 27, 2008, 01:56 PM

No one else has answered, so here goes. There is a division in the USA over this. Some of the mainline churches even set up safe houses for illegals, while many other denominations feel that our laws should not be broken, or simply have not taken any official position on the subject. There is a lot of resistance in the populace against welcoming illegals, and politicians are being pressured to seal our borders, for several reasons, economic and security.

Sep 28, 2008, 07:42 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Galveston1 View Post
    No one else has answered, so here goes. There is a division in the USA over this. Some of the mainline churches even set up safe houses for illegals, while many other denominations feel that our laws should not be broken, or simply have not taken any official position on the subject. There is a lot of resistance in the populace against welcoming illegals, and politicians are being pressured to seal our borders, for several reasons, economic and security.
    There is no question that there are a lot of reasons, whether economic, legals, political and/or of security, ALL perfectly understandable, from a human viewpoint.
    These views are just the logical consequence of the increasing wave of materialsm that is flooding since several decades the societies of the so called first World.
    Western societies, unfortunately, are motivated mostly by greed and desire to have as much as possible of as much as possible than by humanity.
    A clear evidence of this is the present crisis we are experiencing now.
    Perhaps our world would go better if we should ALL concentrate more in GIVING than in HAVING!
    Galveston1 Posts: 362, Reputation: 53

Sep 28, 2008, 01:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by gromitt82 View Post
    There is no question that there are a lot of reasons, whether economic, legals, political and/or of security, ALL perfectly understandable, from a human viewpoint.
    These views are just the logical consequence of the increasing wave of materialsm that is flooding since several decades the societies of the so called first World.
    Western societies, unfortunately, are motivated mostly by greed and desire to have as much as possible of as much as possible than by humanity.
    A clear evidence of this is the present crisis we are experiencing now.
    Perhaps our world would go better if we should ALL concentrate more in GIVING than in HAVING!!
    Your last statement is true, but it is not the proper function of government to take from one class or person and give it to another.
    saintjoan Posts: 36, Reputation: 6

Sep 28, 2008, 04:42 PM

The church's mandate is to save souls, not to get involved in social issues.
    The Bible says:
    1 Corinthians 2:2 For I determined not to know any thing among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified.
    The Lord gave our mandate in the great commission.
    Matthew 28:18-20 18And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth. 19Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: 20Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

True believers should be more concerned with doing the Lord's business of saving souls rather than entering into the political arena.

Sep 29, 2008, 03:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Galveston1 View Post
    Your last statement is true, but it is not the proper function of government to take from one class or person and give it to another.
    It is not necessary to take from one class or person and give it to another as you say.

All that would be necessary for Governments of the 1st World would be to better administer their wealth..! ThIS would not only allow those who already have a LOT to keep it, but to help those who have less or nothing at ll, to have A LITTLE...

Do you have an idea of how much money DO Governments all over the World spend in armament to prepare themselves for eventual wars?

The proper function of Governments SHOULD NOT BE to prepare for wars but to contribute to built PEACE for the welfare of their citizens.

But as I said, greed is more important!

Sep 29, 2008, 03:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by saintjoan View Post
    The church's mandate is to save souls, not to get involved in social issues.
    The Bible says:
    1 Corinthians 2:2 For I determined not to know any thing among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified.
    The Lord gave our mandate in the great commission.
    Matthew 28:18-20 18And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth. 19Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: 20Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

True believers should be more concerned with doing the Lord's business of saving souls rather than entering into the political arena.

The Bible also says: “This is my commandment: love one another as I love you. No one has greater love than thism to lay down one’s life for one’s friends. You are my friends if you do what I command you” (John 15: 12-14)

All social issues have to do with mankind, if I’m not wrong! Our duty is to save souls, indeed, but ALSO to take care of them. In the fragment you quote from St. Matthew it says “19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: 20Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen”

How can you teach nations to observe all things the Lord has commanded us without getting involved in social issues?

How are we to react when our governments, that claim to be Christian, proclaim social issues that are not according to the Commandments?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Thermostat problems or furnace problems [ 22 Answers ]

Is it possible that a thermostat operates correct all the time except when it reaches the temperature that is set doesn't maintain that temperature?:D I noticed that actually that thermostat gives a signal to the furnace but furnace doesn't turn on but that happens only when thermostat needs to...

Social Problems and Sociological Problems [ 4 Answers ]

Differntiate between social problems and sociological problems

Plumming problems causing other problems [ 1 Answers ]

A lot of plumbers can probably replace a bath vanity, although not many of them would want to do a kitchen cabinet. A good handyman can probably do both. Not to discredit my fellow plumbers on the site. Also, most plumbers probably know a contractor who can do the cabinet. The best thing to do...

Stomach problems; eating problems. [ 4 Answers ]

I eat healthy foods, so I know this isn't much of a problem. However, I do have a problem with the way I eat. I will get a full plate of food and only be able to eat a quarter of it and feel very full, while 20 minutes to an hour later, I feel like I haven't eaten in about 10 or 12 hours, that...

BOY Problems? [ 5 Answers ]

Okay I have a problem... I like these two totally different guys I mean they have nothing in common. One I kind of grew up with and the other I met a couple yrs back... But still they are both great. I mean Tyler (the one I grew up with) Is so great and treats me sooo good and he makes me...

View more questions Search