Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Sierra77 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 21, 2008, 07:44 PM
    Teeing in to an existing under floor soil pipe.
    Hello Everyone,

I'm a member of several forum sites like this, but this is my first post here.

I live in Des Moines, IA and my basement was one of thousands that suffered from the Floods back in June. Not a sewer back up, but the old Hydrostatic pressure. I had installed a sump last year, however there is no tile running to it, and the water came in other locations too. Recently, I started busting up my floor to install under floor drainage that will run to the sump to hopefully eliminate the problem.
    I had a thought today while hauling out dirt in buckets. My wife and I have been tossing around the idea of adding a second bathroom in the basement, and I thought, if we are ever going to do it, the time is now when I have the floor already busted up.
    In one of my 12" wide cuts for my new tile, I have dug down and located the horizontal soil pipe. I will obviously need to cut out some more concrete to be able to get down and dig around and under this pipe, which I will do shortly.
    I am just going to stub in the bath for now. I am a truss designer, and with the crappy economy and housing market, I just found out Friday that I will be out of a job in a couple weeks. So hiring someone to do this is not an option. I have the materials to finish what I'm doing right now, except for the additional pvc for this new stub-in. I have read a lot of posts about how to cut cast iron, and I've grown leary of using a snap cutter. My house was built in 1953, that pipe is 55 years old. What do you guys recommend for the best way to cut this? I am not going to have a lot of room to work down in that hole. The pipe is also very deep. In fact, it runs under the footing for the center bearing wall. Top of the pipe is probably a good foot below the floor.
    I want to stub in a shower, Toilet, and sink, in that order from farthest away from the soil pipe. I have attached a drawing if what I'm looking at. By the look of the drawing, am I headed in the right direction?? If anyone can help me out, I would really appreciate it. Also, when installing the trap under the shower, is this just tied directly into the main toilet line? There isn't any need for a 'one-way' valve or anything is there? Thanks...
    Attached Images

speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 22, 2008, 05:24 AM
    Teeing in to an existing under floor soil pipe.
    I've grown leary of using a snap cutter. My house was built in 1953, that pipe is 55 years old. What do you guys recommend for the best way to cut this? I am not going to have a lot of room to work down in that hole. The pipe is also very deep.
    You can't use a set of snap cutters in a deep trench. You will either use a set of ratchet chain cutters,(see image)or a Saws-All with metal blades.
    I have attached a drawing if what I'm looking at. By the look of the drawing, am I headed in the right direction?? If anyone can help me out, I would really appreciate it. Also, when installing the trap under the shower, is this just tied directly into the main toilet line? There isn't any need for a 'one-way' valve or anything is there?
    You will need to vent your shower and run a vent up from your lavatory. The two vents may be combined to form one vent. If you could swap places with the toilet and the lavatory you could tie the shower drain back to the lavatory drain and have the shower wet vented by it. That way you would only have one vent to hassle with.
    Good luck, Tom
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Sep 22, 2008, 05:36 AM

You can also use small grinder with 4" diamond blade... You can do new under slab drains using ABS or PVC. It is inexpensive and it is sold in Home Depot type stores.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Sep 22, 2008, 06:39 AM
    Sierra77...

Click on this link:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/plumbi...om-252241.html

Discusses in detail all about a basement bathroom rough in (start at post #22 and work forward... click on links to see pictures).

Pop back after reviewing this thread and let us know if you have any questions.

MARK

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Installing a floating floor over existing parquet floor [ 4 Answers ]

I live in a condo and currently have 8" square oak parquet floors. The parquet is half an inch thick and glued down to the concrete subfloor (it is glued with a think black substance that I was told is tar). The flooring has been in the building for nearly 50 years and seems to be well intact...

Attaching new 2" drain pipe to existing 3" soil stack - PVC [ 4 Answers ]

All, I am installing an additional sink on the main level of my home. On the lower level, below, there is a main 3" soil stack. I am thinking to use a 3"x2" Y connector to tie 2" drain pipe into this main soil stack. The sink will be vented using AAV (island) Questions: 1. Is there any...

Soil pipe leak (I think) [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, we have a problem with the soil pipe that we first noticed because of smells in the upstairs toilet. We recently began redecorating the kitchen, which is located below and to one side the toilet, and seem to have unleashed a similar smell (but quite a bit more potent). The housing which...

Soil Stack Vent Pipe/Stench Pipe ( Smelly Drains ) [ 3 Answers ]

I have a downstairs toilet and upstairs toilet ,one above the other.. The soil/stench pipe connects upwards to above the Roof heaves and downward into the sewer... Coupled into the sewer also is a Gully trap drain to take sink and bath / shower wastes and from time to time , from that drain gully...

2 toilets into 1 soil pipe? [ 2 Answers ]

We (my son & I) are remodeling a 50s bathroom, and creating a new half bath in a newer (90s) master bedroom. The old toilet needs to move, about 6 feet from its current location. The new one will be about 12 feet further from the original drain. The existing setup is all 4" cast iron, down into a...

View more questions Search