Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dherman1 Posts: 129, Reputation: 10

May 18, 2006, 06:18 AM
    Another Jetted tub question
    I am also installing a jetted tub with an in-line heater. American Standard recommends using 2 circuits, one for the heater and one for the pump.

I ran 20 amp circuits, even though 15 amp is all that was required. I am using GF CB and not GFI's as I don't want anyone to be tempted reset the GFCI if it trips while they are wet. Mr Water and Mr Electricity do NOT play well together.

Both the heater and pump came pre-wired with a molded plug.

Local codes require that I ground both the heater and pump with #8 wire. Can I run the ground from the heater to the pump and then to the water suupply or do I need to run two separate lines?

I wish I could use stranded wire on the pump and not solid, to help with vibration but, hey, such is life.

Thanks for any help. Dan
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

May 18, 2006, 02:10 PM
    OK all I can explain is the National Electric Code, which usually is adopted by all states and local code enforcement officials. They do have the authority to modify or amend the NEC to suit their reaosns, but usually do not change much.

What is required is to BOND (not ground) all metal piping, metal parts of electrical equipment, and pump motors together with a minimum of #8 solid copper wire. This can be done all at or under the tub.

Run a #8 soild copper wire and connect to each metal pipe that may be under the tub, the control or junction box, and the pump motor. The pump motor usually has a lug on the outside of the motor for this purpose. Pipe clamps rated to clamp on a metal pipe, these also provide the wire lug, one on each hot and cold water pipes, and the junction box, again should have a lug for this.

All of this usually can be done with a six to ten foot piece of , again, #8 copper solid wire, under the tub. This wire does not need to go back to the panel, or anywhere for that matter, it just stays under the tub.

Once the wire connects to the motor, this bonding wire gets grounded through the equipment grounding conductor that is in the cord and branch circuit cable that feeds the motor.

If the local inspector requires you to run the grounding wire back to the panel, he does not understand the NEC 2002 editon Section 680.74, or which ever code edition is in effect where you live. Ask him to review this and see if you can get him to change his mind.

There is no requirement, and is not allowed, for any separate ground wire to be run from any electrical equipment in a building back to a panel or grounding system. This is all done with the equipment grounding conductor, for example, the bare wire in Romex, which must be run to every device. All equipment grounding conductors must be included with the feeder wires in a cable or raceway.
    dherman1 Posts: 129, Reputation: 10

May 18, 2006, 02:22 PM
    Can I run a single wire (#8 solid) from the lug on the pump, to the lug on the heater, to a clamp similar to this: on the hot water pipe?

And do I need to go to the coldwater pipe as well?

Thanks, Dan
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

May 18, 2006, 02:24 PM
    Yes that is the pipe clamp, and yes you must connect the wire to both hot and cold pipes. Keep in mind that the hot water pipe is many times separated from the cold water pipe at the water heater. So connect to both.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Jetted tub [ 3 Answers ]

Jetted tub made by better bats components, won turn on or shut off unless I use circuit breaker?

I have a question regarding skin. Question is on skin... [ 1 Answers ]

whenever I get hit or scratched, or bitten to hard, that area of my skin where is occurred gets red and then I get a white raised bump ( of skin) in the senter or along the redness. It goes away in minutes but still highly unattractive. What can I do to prevent this?? Sum 1 email me help....

Bathtub heated and jetted [ 4 Answers ]

The bathtub requires 2 20amp circuits. One for the pump and the other for the heater. I am going to install a 2 gang box with 2 gfi receptacles. Can I run 12-3 wire and have the 2 GFI breakers share the same neutral wire? Thanks for your help

View more questions Search