Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Tommyp!972 Posts: 300, Reputation: 36

May 17, 2006, 07:04 PM
    peak height of roof.. thread closed.. thanks anyway
    I want to make a roof for my shed that can use 4x8 sheets without cutting... the depth of the shed is 12 feet and if I lay the 4x8 sheets down flat the width of the sheets would be 16 feet deep,but that's toooooo flat and 2 feet of overhang on the front and back is too much(lol).. looking for a pitch so rain and snow will fall off... what pitch will I have to make the roof so there is still a small overhang?what's the norm on overhangs? also how tall will the peak end up being? thanks for any help

here is what I'm talking about.. anyone got skills to find that pitch.. thats what I'm after
    Lowe's Home

never mind folks.. just dl'd the pdf of theat exact building and will be copying most of it.. thread closed
    skiberger Posts: 562, Reputation: 41

May 18, 2006, 07:11 PM
    You need a 9 pitch. This is a rafter length of 7'6". Its steep so you'll need roof kickers for saftey when you shingle the roof.

So w/ 7'6" add 6" for an over hang and this will give you 8' from fascia to ridge. Start at the bottom and work to the ridge. Don't worry if you have a gap at the ridge. Best thing to do is add a ridge vent. I need to add one to my shed. It gets steaming hot in there.
    Tommyp!972 Posts: 300, Reputation: 36

May 18, 2006, 07:16 PM
    That's awesome info.. just what I needed to know... so my overall height will be around 12-13 ft high?
    skiberger Posts: 562, Reputation: 41

May 18, 2006, 07:35 PM
    That's about right. 8' walls and about another 5'(ish) to the peak.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Proper height of stack vent through roof [ 6 Answers ]

Greetings, I am remodeling my house and have just finished roughing in a new bathroom. I am at the point now where I'm ready to extend the stack through the roof. I'm trying to figure out how high the stack needs to be. I seem to remember that the proper stack height was reached by using...

Pipe in roof [ 1 Answers ]

I have a pipe that comes out of my roof. The waste water from my clothes washer is draining from there. Why? Is my normal waste water drain clogged? What can I do?

Roof top decks [ 2 Answers ]

Our new apt. in NYC has roof rights. We are allowed to build on our area, which I really want to do, but I can't find info on building a deck on a roof. Most books, advice columns, etc are about decks that are built in a yard. Can anyone recommend info specifically on building roof decks in...

Hanging ceiling fan from vaulted ceiling peak [ 2 Answers ]

Want to install Hampton Bay's Berlini model 729395 on a cathedral ceiling with a single ridge beam. Want to hang fan from the peak and there's not enough room for the canopy to cover the hanger bracket. Is there any extenders for this?

Roof receptical [ 3 Answers ]

I need to install a receptical under the eve of my roof for roof cable to plug into for melting ice on my roof. I would also like a pilot lite switch installed to let me know when the power is on for the roof cables. Do I need conduit from the inside of the house to the outside box. Any help in...

View more questions Search