Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gromitt82 Posts: 370, Reputation: 23

Sep 21, 2008, 03:44 AM
    Today's Gospel
    According to today's Gospel (Mt 20:1-16): Jesus told his disciples this parable, «The kingdom of heaven is like a landowner who went out early in the morning to hire workers for his vineyard. He agreed to pay the workers a salary of a silver coin for the day, and sent them to his vineyard.
    »He went out again at about nine in the morning, and seeing others idle in the square, he said to them: ‘You, too, go to my vineyard and I will pay you what is just’. So they went. The owner went out at midday and again at three in the afternoon, and he did the same. Finally he went out at the last working hour —it was the eleventh— and he saw others standing there. So he said to them: ‘Why do you stay idle the whole day?’. They answered: ‘Because no one has hired us’. The master said: ‘Go and work in my vineyard’.
    »When evening came, the owner of the vineyard said to his manager: ‘Call the workers and pay them their wage, beginning with the last and ending with the first’. Those who had come to work at the eleventh hour turned up and were given a denarius each (a silver coin). When it was the turn of the first, they thought they would receive more. But they, too, received a denarius each. So, on receiving it, they began to grumble against the landowner. They said: ‘These last hardly worked an hour, yet you have treated them the same as us who have endured the day's burden and heat’. The owner said to one of them: ‘Friend, I have not been unjust to you. Did we not agree on a denarius a day? So take what is yours and go. I want to give to the last the same as I give to you. Don't I have the right to do as I please with my money? Why are you envious when I am kind?’. So will it be: the last will be first, the first will be last».

Jesus’ message in this parable implies a good piece of advice for ALL of us. As far as GOD is concerned, we are ALL alike. Those of us who proudly believe to be entitled to special privileges because we were born Christians and consequently, we met GOD FIRST, are bound to be profoundly disappointed if this priority is not taken into consideration on Last Judgement Day. Therefore, we should better humbly and gratefully accept our Lord’s “denarius” irrespective of whether we believe we should receive “much more”. GOD’s justice is perfect, Ours is not!
    Credendovidis Posts: 1,593, Reputation: 66
    -

Sep 21, 2008, 06:43 AM
    Jesus’ message in this parable implies a good piece of advice for ALL of us. As far as GOD is concerned, we are ALL alike.
    You may of course BELIEVE that, but where is the OSE (Objective Supporting Evidence) for that?

Those of us who proudly believe to be entitled to special privileges because we were born Christians...
    Nobody is born a Christian. When we are born we are without any belief, i.e. we are Atheists.
    It takes years of well-intended (but never-the-less) brainwashing by your parents and educators to become a believer.

GOD’s justice is perfect, Ours is not!
    I assume you mean here the NT God entity and the NT GOD's justice.
    But how do you explain the OT and the OT GOD's INjustice ?

I agree with your last three words : our justice is not!!

:rolleyes:

Sep 21, 2008, 08:04 AM
    [QUOTE=Credendovidis;1285020]You may of course BELIEVE that, but where is the OSE (Objective Supporting Evidence) for that?

THe OSE for that is that this is a Jesus' parable. NOT believing what Jesus transmitted us in the Gospels is, of course, your privilege. As it is mine to do just the contrary.

Nobody is born a Christian. When we are born we are without any belief, i.e. we are Atheists.
    It takes years of well-intended (but never-the-less) brainwashing by your parents and educators to become a believer.

Of course, you are right tecnically. By being born a Christian I obviously refer to being born under the Christian culture. Perhaps your parents and educators brainwashed you. In my case, and bearing in mind I0m 82, I may have been brainwashed with the end result that I actually was later on de-brainwashed. Until 22 years ago, when I was brainwashed again. And guess by who? By my little old self. Therefore, I0m the sole responsible party for it.

The NT GOD you refer to as an entity in my belief -and in the belief of well over 2 billion People- happens to be GOD's SON. Therefore, I must take for granted that Jesus' message of LOVE is the only one that really matters. What you refer to as OT GOD's injustice should be considered in the light of what the definition of justice and injustice was 5000 years ago.

I agree with your last three words : our justice is not!!

Great! This may be the beginning of a great friendship...! As famous last words Boggarth told C. Rains, in Casablanca...

:D:D

Last thing we should lose is HOPE!

:
    Choux Posts: 3,047, Reputation: 376
    Ultra Member

Sep 21, 2008, 01:07 PM

That is a failed interpretation of this parable.

See my explanation on Acura's identical post. :)
    Credendovidis Posts: 1,593, Reputation: 66
    -

Sep 21, 2008, 04:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by gromitt82
    THe OSE for that is that this is a Jesus' parable. NOT believing what Jesus transmitted us in the Gospels is, of course, your privilege. As it is mine to do just the contrary.
    Of course : from me you may BELIEVE whatever you prefer !
    But what you believe is not automatically therefore facual!!

Perhaps your parents and educators brainwashed you.
    Not really. They were both extremely tolerant believers, allowing me at the tender age of 12 to depart in spiritual ways. I always loved them for their openminded views and their refusal to brainwash me into a religion I found unacceptable. That does not want to say that they never discussed their religious views and stated their own opinions.

The NT GOD you refer to as an entity in my belief -and in the belief of well over 2 billion People- happens to be GOD's SON. [/B]
    Either the Bible is God's word to humanity, or it is not. The OT is just as valid as the NT.
    Next to that : you are talking about the same entity, as the trinity clearly indicates that they are one and the same. So the God of the OT is the same as the God of the NT, as well as Jesus Christ, and the Holy Spirit.

Last thing we should lose is HOPE!
    Hope? Why hope? Just sufficient self-confidence will do !

:)

Sep 22, 2008, 03:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Credendovidis View Post
    Of course : from me you may BELIEVE whatever you prefer !
    But what you believe is not automatically therefore facual !!!

When did I ever say that what I believe is factual for everybody? It is FACTUAL for me. However, this does not mean it should be factual for you or anybody else!

Not really. They were both extremely tolerant believers, allowing me at the tender age of 12 to depart in spiritual ways. I always loved them for their openminded views and their refusal to brainwash me into a religion I found unacceptable. That does not want to say that they never discussed their religious views and stated their own opinions.

Same here!

Either the Bible is God's word to humanity, or it is not. The OT is just as valid as the NT.
    Next to that : you are talking about the same entity, as the trinity clearly indicates that they are one and the same. So the God of the OT is the same as the God of the NT, as well as Jesus Christ, and the Holy Spirit.

Of course. I believe there is a ONE and ONLY ETERNAL GOD, existing in THREE PERSONS, i.e. the FATHER, the SON ( incarnate as Jesus Chris ) and the HOLY SPIRIT. This is factual for me. Therefore, GOD cannot suffer any alterations, and for GOD the O.T. and the N.T. it should be just the same. However, WHAT is not the same is man's interpretation of the abstract concept of GOD. GOD was, is and will be ALWAYS the same. But our idea of GOD and of what GOD represents is not the same now as it was 6000 years ago or as it was 2000 years ago. Jesus was GOD incarnate anda man like anyone of us. And his preaching life is condensed in the Gospels which transmit ALL THE TIME a message of love! And I prefer to concentrate into what Jesus told me, than into some aspects the O.T. writers said Yahweh had told them, for what they wrote was what they thought it was best for the poeple of their time. This is also factual, as far as I'm concerned. I'm not trying to convince you. Just pointing out what I believe!!

Hope? Why hope? Just sufficient self-confidence will do !

:)
    Sufficient self-confident can help IN NORMAL CIRCUMSTANCES. But not always.
    When things happen beyond our caacity to inerteve or interfere self-confident does not mean much.
    Imagine the possibility of a war between Russia and the OTAN forces. Hope is what we abondantly need that it DOES NOT materialize. Not self-confidence, for what can you do to avoid it?
    Galveston1 Posts: 362, Reputation: 53

Sep 22, 2008, 03:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Credendovidis View Post
    You may of course BELIEVE that, but where is the OSE (Objective Supporting Evidence) for that?

I agree with your last three words : our justice is not !!!

:rolleyes:

You forgot to say "in my opinion".

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Today's gospel reading got me to wondering [ 46 Answers ]

How many people are like King Herod was. He had heard about Jesus and His miracles but came to the wrong conclusion. How many do you speculated are like that? Here is the gospel reading from the New Jerusalem Bible. Matthew 1: 1. At that time Herod the tetrarch heard about the reputation of...

Today's society [ 18 Answers ]

In today's society I have found it very difficult to find a woman that likes herself most of the girls I've dated have had a significant amount of flings to relationship ratios and most of them tend to tell me these things without me asking its almost as if most of them have a guys mind like they...

Today's her Birthday [ 4 Answers ]

Hello everyone! Today is my ex's birthday. While we've been apart for over 6 months and I'm completely over her. However, I would like to acknowledge her birthday, as it is a big thing to her. I haven't had time to go to the post office (as a load of projects have me going insane!), but I can...

Today's job hunting [ 1 Answers ]

How might a positive attitude be an asset in job-hunting even when an applicant sends out countless resumes without being called for an interview?

The uhs of today's society [ 7 Answers ]

Why do teenagers, mainly female teenagers go " Stop-uh! Oww-uh!"

View more questions Search