Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    richka Posts: 145, Reputation: -1

Sep 20, 2008, 01:41 PM
    Electric remote for garage door opener
    My garage door opener doesn't work. The wiring is inside the wall and to fix it I would have to tear out a section of the garage wall. I'd have to call an electrician. So I've been using the remote in my car, but it's a bother. I bought another remote from ACE hardware just like it but apparently it's an older version or needs a code setting. ACE won't take it back because I lost the receipt! My house was built in 1991 so it's 17 years old. Can you suggest a remote that will work?
    Thanks
    EPMiller Posts: 624, Reputation: 37

Sep 20, 2008, 04:21 PM
    You're certain that the wiring is the problem? Usually it is the cheap doorbell button that quits. Take the cover off the button and with a paper clip of piece of copper wire, momentarily connect the two terminals. If the door doesn't work, then go up to the operator and do the same thing on the terminals that the wire from the button is connected to. Still doesn't work? Problem is with the operator. If it works that way, just run another cable on the surface to the button.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Sep 21, 2008, 06:47 AM

If above doesn't work, disconnect wires, then jump to verify it operates, If the wiring is shorted, and you jump the button, it will have no effect. If you connect 1 wire, then you connect the 2nd wire and door opperates, it is shorted.
    Since both buttons connect to same terminals, probablt not shorted.
    If you could give a Manufacturer and model of unit could help narrow down the needed remote.
    eriknugent Posts: 90, Reputation: -5

Sep 21, 2008, 07:32 PM

If it is the wire run new wire stapleing it to the outside of the wall
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Sep 21, 2008, 07:42 PM

Check wiring connections at opener.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Learn button for garage door opener remote. [ 5 Answers ]

I am a female and don't know too much about this subject, but here goes... I just purchased a Genie Model ACSGT Type 1 door opener remote through Ebay. The instructions that came with this "used but good condition" device from the owner stated: 'Press Learn button on opener - red light will...

Lost Garage Door Remote Opener [ 4 Answers ]

I lost my garage door remote opener. Unfortunately, this is a detached garage, i.e. garage by itself with no door or windows to get in beside the garage door itself. I can buy a new garage door opener but without being able to open the garage, how can I reprogram this new opener to open my...

Remote garage door opener (reprogram) [ 3 Answers ]

Help! Can't find owners manual to Craftsman 1/2 remote garage door opener. I believe I accidentally erased codes from garage ceiling unit. There is a learn button, I know how to change the code on the outside keypad, but how do I reprogram the unit on the ceiling of the garage to accept the new...

Remote garage door opener [ 2 Answers ]

I purchased a home with a Craftsman remote garage door opener that is outside the garage. Model # 139.53876 with push bottons 1-0 (no # and no *). I know the old four code number but need to know how to change the code with a new code number.

How do I sync the keyless pad garage door opener to the main garage door opener? [ 3 Answers ]

I mistakenly gave someone my garage door opener that didn't return it. I had a male friend come over and "change the code" including my car opener and gave me a universial which he also programmed. I came to realize my code for my keyless pad outside doesn't work (since he changed the code... )....

View more questions Search