Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mitchsc Posts: 802, Reputation: 7

Sep 20, 2008, 06:49 AM
    Buying a "used" copy of Windows XP Pro
    I've been reading a lot about the difference between OEM and Retail versions of Windows XP. It is my understanding that the Retail version can be transferred from one PC to another, as long as it's not used on 2 macines at the same time.

It's a bit unclear as to what must be done, if anything, with Microsoft, to transfer the software. Someone said you must call them and get a new code number. Not sure if that is same as license key.

The Question: Someone is selling a "used" copy of Windows XP Pro Retail and swears it's a legal copy with license key that will work on any computer. He says "it gets updates and passes windows genuine advantage with no problems". Does anyone know if it's okay to purchase a used copy and legally use it? Am I going to run into any problems with Microsoft if I have to call them to activate it?

I'm a bit suspicious because of the low price, but would love to save a few hundred $ and not buy new if I don't have to.

Thanks...
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Sep 20, 2008, 07:32 AM

AS long as it truly ISN'T an OEM version of any kind... it is technically legal. It may be frustrating to defend if activation balks and you end up on the phone with Microsoft.

The retail version must clearly denote itself as retail. If it is, selling it is legal, just like selling your copy of a book or a DVD would be legal.

BUT... if you run into activation problems and Microsoft says "It's been activated 5 times already and the updates occurred as recently as this morning..." what are you going to say?

If I was going to buy used OS software, I'd install it and activate it before paying them. No other way to be sure.

Sep 20, 2008, 08:30 AM

Thanks JB. This MS activation sounds tricky and somewhat arbitrary. I don't know the seller, so I'm not sure I can install before paying. It's a good deal, but I have a bad feeling about it. I shall think it over.

Can you clarify the procedure for me? If I buy this used version, must I call MS before trying to install to get a new license key or activation code? If so where do I find the correct phone number to call?

Thanks again.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Sep 20, 2008, 08:50 AM
    I doubt Microsoft will give you a new key for free. That "used" copy has already been installed with that key and has "phoned home" to Microsoft. When you install it with that key it'll notice that it's completely different hardware and you'll be flagged has having a pirate copy.

Sep 20, 2008, 09:37 AM

NK,

From what I've read, your explanation applies only to "OEM" versions. But "Retail" versions are allowed to be transferred to other hardware, as long as it's not being used on 2 systems at the same time. Is this not correct?

Thanks
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Sep 20, 2008, 11:38 AM
    You'll know when you have to call MS for the activation. You cannot know the history of that key so it's a gamble.

Sep 20, 2008, 02:24 PM

Some site I was reading last night showed photos of the various types of Windows CDs.

The Retail version actually looks different than the OEM version. Couldn't you go by that?
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Sep 20, 2008, 06:23 PM

The real problem here is even if the sale is a legitimate RETAIL copy, MS may still balk at the sale... I think it's going to be random.

Further, if the person who sold it DIDN'T uninstall it from the system(s) he's used it on, then those systems may still be "phoning home" for updates, in which case MS will be able to say "This is an illegitimate installation because that key updates itself on a different system as late as yesterday". What do you say in that case?

Buying used software is always a gamble. Best if you know the people and can verify it will install prior to remitting payment.

Sep 20, 2008, 07:37 PM

All good points. Think I'll pass...

Thanks.
    mechanickid Posts: 248, Reputation: 5

Sep 26, 2008, 06:16 PM

Don't know if its too late but, I've used one oem key on 3 systems at once with no problems ever they were all online and all updating regularly, I know your talking about retail but I say this because OEM is only for one machine, some times I had to call because it can only be activated so many times, but this number is per year and resets, also if they asked if it was being used I said no we just got a virus and had to wipe the computer:D hehe, any way to beat the giant, and they said OK here you go, easy as pie,

Sep 26, 2008, 07:23 PM

Thanks for the info. Having never delt with MS on software activation, the whole thing is still a bit confusing to me. I have some OEM Windows from a computer I bought that died. But I thought the software was somehow linked to the motherboard or bios, and wouldn't work on another machine??

I had an interesting, related experience today. This info may be very useful out there. I replaced my son's HD in his laptop with a larger one. Loaded Windows XP and drivers from the CDs that came with the laptop. No problem.

But when I went to MS to get the SP2 update, it appreared to download, but wasn't on my system when I checked. Tried several times with no luck. It was stuck at SP1.

I found a MS site that "validates" your software (Genuine Microsoft Software). It liked mine and said I was approved to download updates, but even after the validation, they still wouldn't take.

Someone in a forum suggested the following and it worked. I have no idea what was going on, or why this worked but it did. Hope this helps someone. BTW, if anyone can explain what this is, I'd be interested.

Start, Run, cmd, OK
    Regsvr32 wuapi.dll <enter>
    Regsvr32 wuaueng.dll <enter>
    Regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll <enter>
    Regsvr32 wucltui.dll <enter>
    Regsvr32 wups.dll <enter>
    Regsvr32 wups2.dll <enter>
    Regsvr32 wuweb.dll <enter>

Restart computer and try downloading updates again
    xbugsy Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Sep 27, 2008, 10:49 PM
    Selling/Transferring License Ownership

"Selling/Transferring License Ownership"

The selling or transfer of license ownership on previously activated XP OS is limited to retail versions only. OEM versions are restricted to the original computer it is installed and sale or transfer must include the computer.

If you are selling the copy of XP you removed, you will need to sell with all manuals, documentation, etc. that was originally supplied. You should also include a receipt stating you sold the copy of XP in compliance with the EULA. Steps 2 through 4 (from FAQ#6) should also be explained to the buyer. It is not necessary for the buyer to explain anything during the phone call activation; other than it was removed in compliance with the EULA and installed on a new computer. Activation is anonymous and supplying information other than what is required will often delay the activation until documentation is faxed or snail mail verifying the transfer was in compliance with the XP EULA. If prompted to supply information other than the previously stated requirement, ask to speak to a supervisor; if you are in compliance; state that you need your new install of XP on upgraded hardware activated and you meet the required terms of the EULA agreement.

There is no requirement you must state you are a new owner of a previously activated XP.

If you are selling the computer with XP installed, you should run the factory restore procedure to remove your data and return the system to it's shipped state. Be sure to include all the necessary CD and documentation. It is important to remove all software registered to the seller along with any confidential personal information.

Windows XP Product Activation

Technical Details on Microsoft Product Activation for Windows XP

Microsoft Product Activation Frequently Asked Questions

Microsoft Product Activation - Piracy Basics

Windows Product Activation (WPA) on Windows XP

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Jeweler buying "hot " merchandise from 1st time thief. [ 1 Answers ]

A family member stole from a relative 2 antique rings which were Family heirlooms worth over $7000 (that needed repair), not realizing their worth, and then sold them to a jeweler for far less than they are worth. The thief is a kind but learning disabled 20 years old on probation for 1 year for...

Anyone heard of "Buying Off" a Probation [ 1 Answers ]

Here is some quick basic info. My boyfriend was convicted of the crime iabout 17 years ago which was attempted murder and robbery. He served way more time than he should have considering the circumstances of the crime. He was released this May and now has 4 years probation. He was what you could...

An exception occurred while trying to run ""c:WINDOWSsystem32gzmrotate.dll"DllVerif [ 1 Answers ]

HI.. this things happen to me just last week. When I start up my laptop, an error message appear - (An exception occurred while trying to run ""c:\WINDOWS\system32\gzmrotate.dll"DllVerify") What is this and I can't ger rip of it!. Please help me!

Can not "copy", "paste" and "cut" ! [ 2 Answers ]

Last week, my laptop was infected by virus, I sent for repair. After that, I couldn't find "copy" and "cut", and"paste" is in grey colour ! What have to do to have them back ? Can someone help ? Thanks in advance !

View more questions Search