Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    djjnz03 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 20, 2008, 04:11 AM
    Craftman 15.5 HP Lawn mower
    My old model lawn mower won't start. No cranking at all. No clicking. Completely dead. Battery is 5 months old, got it checked, a bit low, charged over night. No crank. Got the starter off and checked. It works. Cleaned its terminals and ground base. No crank. Replaced ignition switch. No crank. Seat switch seems OK. Fuse seems OK. Blade's on/off switch seems OK. Checked and cleaned all electrical connections and seem to be OK. Am I missing something else to check and replace? My neighbors will start to complain about my lawn. Please help.
    Thank you.
    rsain2004 Posts: 207, Reputation: 6

Sep 20, 2008, 07:24 AM

The starter uses more amps than a simple switch can handle... there must be a relay or soleniod that the switch pulls in, to engage the starter. Follow the wiring to find it, it's probably failed... Good luck...
    jsfocke Posts: 310, Reputation: 37

Sep 20, 2008, 01:23 PM

The only things you didn't mention checking are the safety switches on the clutch/brake pedal and the deck level handle.

Sep 20, 2008, 05:18 PM

Thank you both. I cleaned and check clutch/brake and handle safety switches. It's hard to tell if they are working or not. I'll remove what seems to be the solenoid and hope to find the a new one at the local store. I was about to give up hope and run to buy a new lawn mower.
    Thank you again.

Sep 24, 2008, 02:48 AM

Thank you both again. The solenoid was the problem. Now I have a "New" lawn mower with new ignition switch, solenoid, and cleaned safety switches.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

6 Horse Craftman mower [ 1 Answers ]

My mower will Start however to keep it running I have to keep pumping the primer bulb. What can I do to fix this problem?

Craftman ride on mower [ 2 Answers ]

I have an old tractor, an it stop working. I thought it needed a new battery so I bought one, but it still does not want to start. All I hear when I turn the ignition switch is a clicking sound but he motor will not turn over. What do I do?

1998 Craftman Riding Lawn Mower [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I'm writing this question over since my husband writes better in spanish than english:D Okay, our neighbor gave us this riding lawn mower. It took awhile to start only after I set the little screw on the front which I think is the float (? ). Whatever it is, when I adjusted it, my husband...

Craftman Model 917.255561 Lawn Tractor [ 1 Answers ]

My lawn mower starts and runs fine. But will not drive

View more questions Search