Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    EPMiller Posts: 624, Reputation: 37

Sep 20, 2008, 07:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by KeepItSimpleStupid View Post
    OK, your turn. If I applied a large AC voltage say 3000 V p-p and at 10 Hz to small air gap in series with a 3000 V light bulb. What might happen? Wouldn't the lamp blink?
    <snip>
    Yes, the lamp would blink. And at 3000 volts the air gap would be very visible too! However the lamp would come on at some voltage high enough to strike the arc and would go off when the AC voltage approaches the zero crossing and there is not enough potential to sustain the circuit. In other words, the light is on when the circuit is complete (the water valve is open).

That is not an analog to water hammer, which occurs when a valve is closed abruptly (the switch is turned off) and the kinetic energy of the moving water stream is dissipated as that bang in the pipes. I guess the analog to water hammer would be the light illuminating briefly after the switch is turned off. As if there is some kinetic energy in an abruptly interrupted flow of electrons.

I am certain that you understand all this. I am writing for anyone following the thread. I remember when I was first picking this stuff up and wrong analogies and incorrect information had me working under false assumptions. Like the time stanfortyman flamed me for putting forward the idea that breakers will trip at 80% load after 3 hours. :)

EPM

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Light bulbs keep blowing out too soon [ 18 Answers ]

I have two outside security lights; one by the front door and one by the side door. I am having to replace the bulbs in them about every 2 weeks. I've tried different wattages and even different brands/quality of bulbs. Same thing. Two or three weeks then POOF! Blow out. Power surge possible? Fire...

My light bulbs keep blowing out [ 23 Answers ]

Hi. The light bulbs in my kitchen and dining area keep blowing out. I hired an electrician to do some other work, and he said my bulbs just blew. However, after I purchased new bulbs, they still blew out. Some of the bulbs are halogen and others are incandescent. I don't have any problems with...

Light Bulbs Blowing Regularly [ 6 Answers ]

The lights in our house keep blowing, even after bulbs have been replaced. It takes weeks or months, but it is getting crazy. First a bulb or two in the ceiling fan, then the attic, the bathroom light, then both of the upstairs hallway lights at separate times, then the back porch light, and now...

Ceiling fan light bulbs blowing out [ 5 Answers ]

In our living room, the ceiling fan has four light bulbs, and we need to replace them at least every 4 weeks or so. They are 40 watt, 120 volt lights. They always blow out when they are NOT on. I've heard it quite a few times - during the day when we don't need the light on, you can hear the...

Halogen Track Light blowing bulbs [ 1 Answers ]

I added a third light (one that had been sitting in my closet for years) to one of my tracks which immediately blew the bulbs in the other two lights. Thinking the light to be defective, or perhaps the limit on the track to be 2 not 3, I removed it and replaced the bulbs in the other two lights....

View more questions Search