Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Hiro Posts: 19, Reputation: 1

Sep 19, 2008, 01:52 PM
    Force and magnetism
    I need to know how large of an electromagnet I need to make in order to push a second electromagnet with a certain amount of force. Is there an equation which relates Teslas to Force and distance?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Sep 22, 2008, 12:03 PM

Trying to calculate the attraction force between magnets is very complex, because it is highly dependent upon the magnets' geometries and distribiution of magnetic poles. The force between two magnetic poles is:

where:
    is force in Newtons, and are magnitudes of magnetic poles (in ampere meter), is the permiability of the medium in tesla-meter/ampere, and is the separation in meters. In real world applications the pole distribution is more complex than a simple north and south poles, so a more complex form is often required. For two bar magnets, for example, the force between them can be found from:

where is the magnetic flux density near the poles in tesla, is the area of each pole, is the length of each magnet, is the radius of each magnet, and is the separation of the two magnets.

See also:
    Magnet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Hiro Posts: 19, Reputation: 1

Sep 23, 2008, 05:53 AM

Thank you so, so much for helping me with this. What I need to calculate the forces of is a bit more complicated however;

I need to calculate with how much force a solonoid will push a bar magnet if it has, say, its north pole inside the north end of the solonoid and the south pole outside.

Think a track running through the center of the solonoid with the magnet positioned in the way I have described. I have a feeling that this is going to be much harder to calculate then I had first imagined heh.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Sep 23, 2008, 05:59 AM

Yes - quite complicated. You may be able to find some software that can help with the calculation, using finite elements. Or if you have one of these solenoids handy perhaps you can do an experiment using different weights.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Confederate air force/ Commemorative air force [ 5 Answers ]

Are Lefty Gardner and Lloyd Nolan still alive? If so where can I find good information on the start of the Confederate Air force on line. There is a lot of info on the new Commemorative Air force, but very little on the old.

Force law [ 1 Answers ]

3 children tuuging rubber tube ,one exert force of 40 N , another force of 30 N, and a third a force of 50 N. What is the net horizontal force on the tube?

Magnetism [ 3 Answers ]

What are the three metals that magnets will attract to?

Books on Electricity/magnetism [ 1 Answers ]

:) Does anyone know some books on electricity/magnetism?

Magnetism [ 1 Answers ]

What are these units? 1.self inductance 2.inductive reactance 3.magnetic field strength 4.magnetic flux

View more questions Search