Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    everydaydiva Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 19, 2008, 11:29 AM
    Converting shower stall to tiled bath
    My minute Manhattan bathroom has a 36" x 36" tiled shower stall enclosed by 3 walls (yes, the bathroom is only 36" wide!) and a 6" marble ledge. The whole bathroom, tiles and all, is going to be demolished for the remodel.
    Here's my question: can I make a small soaking-type bathtub in this 36" square space, by using the 3 walls, re-tiled, and having an approx 28" wall built at the open end?
    The shower assembly will be completely replaced, and a frameless glass shower door suspended from the ceiling would sit on the 28" wall.
    I'd like to use 1/2" or 1" glass or natural stone tile.
    The obvious issues are the potential for leakage and the type of drain stopper needed. I will check with my lovely superintendent on the water weight issue, but don't think it's a problem since the vast majority of apartments in my 1928 building have bathtubs.
    I have a superb contractor, but I know he hasn't installed anything like this!
    I am an interior designer specializing in historic Manhattan apartment renovations, and this tiled soaking tub solution would also be a great option for my clients.
    Thank you in advance!
    Kittie Lonsdale
    Lifestyle Space Design
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Sep 19, 2008, 12:17 PM
    I am confused, you say a small soaker tub but also mention shower doors suspeended from the ceiling. Could you restate what it is that you want. You'd have a 28" step into your "tub" if I have this pictured correctly. Also, you have to have apermit, have you talked to anyone at the building department yet?

Sep 19, 2008, 01:00 PM
    Thank you so much for your quick reply! I'm sorry I wasn't clear - what I want is a tub/shower combo in the existing 36" x 36" space currently occupied by the shower stall. That means that the tub itself would be 36" square, formed by the 3 existing walls, and a fourth "wall" which would have to be built and tiled to form the tub. This would be about 28" high (for soaking in deep water). I still have to have a shower door, so this would be above that 28" wall. There is no step. I hope that is clearer.
    I haven't talked to Building Permits yet - I want to find out if it is feasible to build this bath out of mosaic tile first!
    Thanks again,
    Kittie
    thiirane Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 19, 2009, 08:07 PM
    Kittie Lonsdale,

I read your question. I have been thinking about a similar question. I have a shower stall that would be big enough for a small sit bath or even a jacuzzi I suppose. What did you do? Oddly, I have not found many people trying to do this.

Kind Regards,

Thiirane - Russ
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Jan 19, 2009, 10:45 PM

I would not recommend installing custom made soaker tub in an apartment and that's from several reasons: 1. No overflow 2. Possibility of leak downstairs 3. Rapid loss of heat

There is a company (Ameritech? ) that makes plastic 36" x 36" soaker tubs. They are about 30" deep and install on bed of concrete. They look great and work well. Half of the tub is a seat. They can be even whirlpool type tubs. I would recommend that you go with this type of tub.

Jan 20, 2009, 06:57 AM

Thanks for the help! I have decided not to proceed with the tub idea, and am going to have a super-duper body shower instead!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New Tiled Shower - cracked grout between shower wall and pan [ 4 Answers ]

I just spent 10K on labor alone to remodel my master bath. I purcahsed all Hand made tiles (Walker Zanger) and the contractor came highly recommended... After less than one month of use (and I did seal the shower walls and floor with a very good sealer), I noticed a hairline crack in the Grout...

Converting half bath to full bath [ 9 Answers ]

My question refers to a half bath we are in the planning stages of converting to a full bath in the basement. Currently our basement has a half bath with toilet and sink on one half of the basement. There is then a shower on the other side of the basement with the washer and dryer, about 30 feet...

Converting bath to handheld shower [ 2 Answers ]

I have an old claw foot tub in my downstairs bathroom and it has a "double basin faucet" spout instead of the regular single spout. Which means the cold water comes out one spout and hot comes out another. I need to find some type of hose adapter that would allow me to hook up an hand held doggy...

Converting bath to shower [ 2 Answers ]

I would like to remove my standard bath tub and install a large shower stall , all on a concrete slab. My question is with the drain. Do I have to slope the new floor over to the existing drain? Break up the concrete and move the drain? How large do pre-made shower bases come? ...

Leaking Tiled Shower Stall Floor Drain... [ 1 Answers ]

We had our shower stall replaced in 1998 due to the pan beneath the tile leaking... a new liner and re-tile job was done... well, now there is a wet spot below in the same spot and after opening the ceiling, I find that the plastic fitting going into the plastic floor hub is leaking. Looks like the...

View more questions Search