Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    loganstreet Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 19, 2008, 10:58 AM
    Legal action to remove name off a deed or mortgage with a party refusing to coperate.
    Hi! I co-own a property with a very close friend. Both of our names is on deed. Only my name is on the mortgage. He rented out the properties and collect rents. Now for 7 months based on the bank, they have not received payments. There are renters in the properties that he is still collecting rent from. He moved out from the house. I have been trying to reach him in vain. He's been avoiding me. My credit record is now suffering has a result for this. Now I want to take his name the deed, but how to you get someone that is running away from you get the appropriete signature on the right document? Also if I were to surrender the deed to the bank so that to avoid foreclosure, will I be able to do so since my co-owner is running away from me?

Thanks
    rockinmommy Posts: 1,123, Reputation: 82
    Ultra Member

Sep 20, 2008, 07:37 AM

I realize hind-sight is 20/20 and all of that... but it's VERY unwise to be the only name on a mortgage when there is someone else's name on the property. THIS situation is the EXACT reason (among others) why you shouldn't do that.

Unless he voluntarily signs is over, I don't know of any legal way to get him off.

I would contact a real estate attorney and see what rights you have to somehow get the tenants to pay rent to you. You might have to sue the co-owner and get a judge to rule that the rents should be paid directly to you in order for you to pay the mortgage with that money. There may be other remedies. If you have renters in there I think this may be able to be salvedged, but you need some hands-on legal help, in my opinion.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 20, 2008, 08:29 AM

Yes, since they 1/2 of the property, you may very well have to buy his share out from him.

YOu may be able to sue him for your share of the rent moneys and his share of the mortgage payments.

Have you contacted the renters to have them start paying you the rent ?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is it too late for legal action? [ 14 Answers ]

We joined a travel club in July this year. It sounded like a great way to be able to save at the time. It was one of these "sign today as you will never be invited to join again" deals. I feel so stupid for having fallen for this. Since then, the company has "closed its membership" and is...

Would you take Legal Action for Slander? [ 8 Answers ]

First, I need to tell the entire story so that you may get a feel of what's going on. About a month and a half ago I applied for an Assistant Managers position at one of the larger grocery stores in my city. I interviewed for the position and a few days later they called and made me a job...

Is there any legal action I can take? [ 3 Answers ]

My daughter's biological father has never been a part of her life. Ya, he was around her for a few months here and there, only because we share common family members by marriage. No, we are not related. She was 2 yrs old when paternity test were done. A month after the paternity papers he got...

Least complicated but legal way to add someone to my mortgage deed or title [ 3 Answers ]

I find myself in a tight situation with my house payment & household expenses. My friend has decided to come in on the house with me. The house is in Sun City, Arizona, and I have had it for 6 mo. Our plan is to keep my original prime loan. My friend will reinburse me for half my original...

View more questions Search