Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Liscarney Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

May 16, 2006, 01:55 PM
    Bathroom & Dryer Vents
    I built a room next to a bathroom exterior wall where the bathroom and dryer vents terminated (on the exterior side). With the new adjacent room, the vents would have to be extended by 10 feet. My question is, can I connect the bathroom and dryer vents together and then extend one 4" vent pipe to the new exterior wall? Thanks in advance!
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

May 16, 2006, 04:16 PM
    In this particular case, no, one common exhaust duct cannot connect to more than one exhaust. Even thou the bathroom fan has a backflow damper, the dryer will force air into the exhaust fan. If the fan was to be used at same time, the force of the dryer CFM is much more powerful than the exhaust fan, and the bathroom fan could not overcome the force.

The dryer, at least most that I know, does not have a backflow damper, some of the bathroom exhausted air would be forced into the dryer.

Only systems rated for common exhaust, one with a exterior mounted extractor fan, that draws air rather the push air, can connect to multiple vents.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to Clean Vents? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi. We moved into a 45 year old home last summer. It has gas heat and central A/C. I doubt the vents have ever been cleaned. Is there a method to cleaning vents that can be done by the homeowner or does it need to be cleaned by a professional?

Studer vents [ 2 Answers ]

Plumber installed Studer vents in four locations to combat toilet bubbling/gurgling. Now, washing machine suds flow out of vent stack. Is this OK?

Vents at ceiling [ 3 Answers ]

Ok don't want to sound stupid here but we have cold air returns at the bottom of the walls and vents at the top that you can open or close, when should you have these open or closed?

Remodeling Bathroom, Need to move drains/vents [ 7 Answers ]

I am in the process of remodeling my bathroom. I am moving all fixtures, toilet, sinks, shower, and jaccuzi. It is on a concrete slab, which I have mostly tore up. I am looking for some help with vents and drains for my new project. I attached a PDF with my proposed fixture layout. I...

View more questions Search