Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    icandoit Posts: 46, Reputation: 2

May 16, 2006, 12:20 PM
    Sole proprietary liability
    I have situation that may require legal assistance. I'm not sure so that is why I am asking here. I'm also not sure if this is the correct place for this question so mods, feel free to move it to a more appropriate location, if need be.

Last night my wife's car was stolen from our driveway. That is not the issue, as I have insurance. The problem is my wife has a small business where she reconciles bank statements for different clients in the area and she had just picked up the work from two different clients. These papers are mostly cancelled checks and bank statements, except for one client that keeps his personal bank and credit card statements in the same folder as his business stuff.

When my wife contacted to him to tell him about the situation, she said he immediately asked if we have liability insurance, which we don't. At least as far as I know we don't. I don't think my homeowners policy would cover this, and it's something we never even thought of to investigate coverage for.

She recommended to him to call his bank and credit card companies and inform them of what happened, and she told him that she would pay for any charges or fees involved.

Is this anything we should be concerned about? Obviously, we are concerned about it but is it serious enough to where we should contact an attorney for it, and if so which type attorney would handle something like this?

Thanks... Randy
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 16, 2006, 12:28 PM
    Yes you need to be seroiusly concerned over this.

First no your homeowners insurance will not cover this unless you have bought additional rider for your policy to cover a home business.

And even then there is limited liablity coverage, normally you will need a professional liablity coverage that would also include errors and omission coverage also what mistakes you make in your job.

But yes, you can be liable for first any cost to reconstruct these files, any charges made or any cost. Even with cancelled check stubs, a person can run electronic checks though on those accounts.

These costs can add up very quickly.

I would say yes, an attorney would be a good start.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sole Custody in Wisconsin [ 6 Answers ]

Sole Custody in Wisconsin Three years ago I bought a house with two of my daughters. We all put the money down to purchase the house and we each have a share of monthly bills for the house. My problem is this: my daughter and her boyfriend have two children. He has not worked or tried to...

Sole Propriertor and Chapters [ 2 Answers ]

I have a question that I can't seem to get any answers to... I called the IRS, SBA, my SOS, and my county recorders office, and they keep sending me in circles! I was wondering if it is legal for a Sole Propriertor to form a local chapter in different states, and possibly even different...

Crêpe sole shoes [ 1 Answers ]

I need to know how to clean crêpe sole shoes and boots before storing for the summer. I have had them become sticky and had to discard the boots. Thanks

Trampoline liability [ 0 Answers ]

I have recently purchased a full-size round trampoline for my two kids, 5 and 7. It is in our fenced (3 1/2 ft.) backyard, which is visible to at least a dozen homes in the neighborhood. All of a sudden, every kid in the neighborhood wants to come over and make friends---and the first thing they...

View more questions Search