Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    zc_top Posts: 22, Reputation: 0

Sep 18, 2008, 08:37 PM
    My van is overheating. Do not know why.
    all right I have a 1995 Dodge caravan and it overheats in different ways at random. When I start it and drive it around a few minutes the needle on the gauge will shoot all the way over to the highest temp and the light will come on. If I turn the engine off and then turn it back on, the temp will be fine until I start driving again. Eventually, after about 7 minutes of driving the needle will suddenly shoot down to normal operating temps. I changed the thermostat but changed nothing. The radiator fan does not come on. When I took the line of to test the water pump, the coolant moved but only in periods. It would shoot out about 10 ounces every minute. I am not sure if this is the proper amount or if the coolant is supposed to run all the time. Another note is that when I drive it on a highway it will shoot up to about 3/4 on the temp gauge. It stays here except when I go up hills or accelerate a lot. Then it overheats.

Another thing is that I tried to wire the fan up to the battery. It comes on but the wires get hot. Today, I noticed vapor coming from the exhaust so I am hoping it is not a bad ordeal.
    rsain2004 Posts: 207, Reputation: 6

Sep 18, 2008, 11:11 PM
    My experience is water pumps output is directly related to RPM. Try draining the system to see what's in it... any physical particals are a bad sign... you may have water pump failure. The fan is controlled by a heat sensing switch in the cooling system. Follow the wires back from the fan motor to it's relay, then from the relay back to the switch. One may test the switch with a multimeter, from cold start and again at operating temp to see if it "makes" on temp rise. Does the fan motor spin freely, or slowly "scrape" to a stopwhen gently spun by hand? Good luck...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

87 Dodge Ram overheating [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 1987 Dodge Ram that overheats when ever I drive it for about 15 minutes and I have checked the coolant level and it is at the appropriate level. What could I do to stop it from overheating? My friends say it's the thermostat but I would like some more opinions on it before I spend money on...

Overheating [ 7 Answers ]

My 1987 Jeep Cherokee is overheating, and we have been Unable to fix the problem. A new therostat has been put in. It runs for about 10 minutes, and then we can see the coolant starting to bubble, so we turn it off. The fan is running, and there doesn't seems to be any leaks. HELP It has...

Why is my durango overheating? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 2000 5.9l dodge durango and it keeps overheating. I have replaced the thermostat 2x in the last 7 months. When it overheats it shuts out rust color water. I don't know what else it could be. Any help would be great.. :confused:

Hot tub overheating [ 2 Answers ]

I have jacuzzi hot tub model h240000 z145/345. My heater will heat the water to about 108 degrees and then " OH " will flash into the display. No matter what temp. I have it set to it won't shut off until it reaches about 108 degrees and displays " OH " What can it be? Thanks for all responses.

Overheating problems [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 98 honda accord, and while driving the car home from work I notice the air conditioner stop blowing cold air and starting blowing rather warm air then I notice the temperature hand was on the "H" (hot) so I pulled over and steam was coming from under the hood. So I waited awhile and add...

View more questions Search