Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    peepA Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 18, 2008, 06:03 PM
    Who was a scientist from england ,that believed that there was life on mars
    A scientist from england,that believed there was life on mars and had a theory about the ozone layer.
    ylaira Posts: 1,193, Reputation: 118
    Ultra Member

Sep 18, 2008, 06:16 PM
    In 1854, William Whewell, a fellow of Trinity College, Cambridge, who popularized the word scientist, theorized that Mars had seas, land and possibly life forms. Speculation about life on Mars exploded in the late 19th century, following telescopic observation by some observers of apparent Martian canals — which were however soon found to be optical illusions. Despite this, in 1895, American astronomer Percival Lowell published his book Mars, followed by Mars and its Canals in 1906, proposing that the canals were the work of a long-gone civilization.[1] This idea led British writer H. G. Wells to write The War of the Worlds in 1897, telling of an invasion by aliens from Mars who were fleeing the planet's desiccation.

Life on Mars - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Scientist and communicate with animals [ 2 Answers ]

How do scientits communicate about organisms:confused: :confused:

Once believed in God - but you no longer do? [ 56 Answers ]

Hi everyone, For those of you who once did believe in Our Heveanly Father, God, but no longer do, would it be okay if I asked you to share, why? What was the turning point? I ask this, as I am most curious and have often wondered why or what happened. Was it gradual? Please know, I do...

Al Gore - the high priest of environmentalism - just a pop scientist? [ 93 Answers ]

Just curious: where did Gore study climatology, anyway? YouTube - Al Gore Debates Global Warming

Social Scientist [ 2 Answers ]

Can Someone Please Tell Me What A Social Scientist Is And What They Do And Things Like That? :] Thankooh ^-^

Scientist Experiments [ 3 Answers ]

Why do Scientist do experiments more than once

View more questions Search