Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MarcP Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Sep 18, 2008, 09:13 AM
    Galvanized pipe to either Copper/CPVC pipe
    I had a leak in my cold water feed which happens to be galvanized pipe. It was between 2 floors and I cut out the affected section. I am going to replace the cut out section with either copper or CPVC. But how does one connect unthreaded galvanized pipe to the after mentioned pipes? I don't know if SharkBite couplings work with galvanized pipe.:confused: Are there other ways to accomplish this. :o
    Removing the entire length of galvanized pipe is out of the question.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 18, 2008, 10:08 AM
    how does one connect unthreaded galvanized pipe to the after mentioned pipes, copper or PVC?
    To transition to copper you place a thread on the galvanized pipe and use a dielectric union,(see image). For PVC you put a thread on the galvanized and transition using a PVC female thread to slip coupling. Good luck, Tom
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Sep 18, 2008, 06:00 PM
    Remove that cut piece of galv. Pipe in the wall so you have male or female thread. Then, proceed as Tom suggested.

They do sell slip-over brass coupling that fits over unthreaded galv. Pipe - but I would not recommended it for this application. We use those for emergencies on sprinkler systems and / or only on the outside.
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Sep 18, 2008, 08:09 PM
    Milo and speedball are right. Find your nearest joints on each side of your cut. Unthread the pipe and use fittings suggested by speedball.

I would be the richest man alive if I could come up with a reliable connection fitting for unthreaded galv pipe.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Sep 18, 2008, 08:25 PM
    Mygirlsdad:

Your fitting is here. See page 7: Legend Valve

Na: Bill Gates did it with DOS... Dirty Operating System as in in Quick and Dirty.

Oct 1, 2008, 08:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1 View Post
    To transition to copper you place a thread on the galvanized pipe and use a dielectric union,(see image). For PVC you put a thread on the galvanized and transition using a PVC female thread to slip coupling. Good luck, Tom
    Sorry but that is virtually impossible.:( The pipe is literally buried in the wet wall to the extent I would nearly have to remove 80% of the walls to get access to achieve what you suggest. I can get close to the leak which is in a vertical run and in between 2 floors. I can cut the pipe above the leak and in the basement. Somebody suggested a Dresser compression piece. I wonder how tight this part can be to keep from leaking.:confused::eek:

Oct 1, 2008, 08:28 AM
    Unthreading Galvanized cold water pipe.how easy?
    It has been suggested that a 50 year old Galvanized cold water pipe is easier to unthread than a hot water pipe. TRUE? :confused:
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Oct 1, 2008, 08:33 AM

Not an answer but a question. I don't recall ever taking apart 50 year old galvanized often enough to note any difference between hot and cold. What logic did this person give for their hypthesis?
    albinfla Posts: 310, Reputation: 35

Oct 1, 2008, 06:27 PM

Every one is different. It depends on the corrosiveness of the water. Take apart one joint and see how bad it is. Then, you'll know about the rest of them. Sometimes, they'll disintegrate in your wrench! Other times, they'll be almost pristine inside.
    Plumbing Expert

Oct 1, 2008, 08:30 PM

The theory says that pipe carrying water at 125 F and higher will deteriorates twice as fast than pipe that carries cold water. Therefore, the assumption is that hot water pipe will be rusted in thread area making it twice as difficult to work with.

From my own experience: the extra strength you have to produce to unscrew hot water pipe versus cold water pipe is in most cases minimal and un-noticable to plumber.
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 2, 2008, 05:14 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcP View Post
    It has been suggested that a 50 year old Galvanized cold water pipe is easier to unthread than a hot water pipe. TRUE? :confused:
    Whoever suggested that was thinking along the lines of hot water expansion making the threaded joint tighter and thus harder to turn. I worked back in the days when all there was were threaded galvanized connections. I don't recall any one harder to turn then the other. Regards, Tom

Hey Marc,
    OK! If you can install a dresser coupling,(see image) then that's the way to go. Dresser couplings are used when the area's so tight that a regular coupling ism't a option. Good luck, Tom
    Plumbing Expert

Oct 2, 2008, 06:48 PM

Here is where our opinions and experiences differ: I would not recommend "dresser coupling" inside enclosed wall or ceiling, especially within living space of your house.

You can always thread that cut off end of galvanized pipe... Yes, it will take some effort to do that - but you will sleep better, believe me
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 3, 2008, 04:41 AM
    And I agree with Milo. It's not a good idea to cover up a dresser coupling. However, when I suggested threading the bald end this is the response I got.
    Sorry but that is virtually impossible. The pipe is literally buried in the wet wall to the extent I would nearly have to remove 80% of the walls to get access to achieve what you suggest.
    Sometimes Milo, you got to think outside the box and if a dresser coupling's the only thing that works that that's about all you have to go with. Regards, Tom
    Plumbing Expert

Oct 3, 2008, 04:47 AM

Tom, there is always way to either remove that nipple and thread it or thread it in the ceiling. It may take some effort but I am sure it is doable.

Mark can always call skilled person who will utilize correct approach to this problem and with proper tools and bit of effort - he will thread that nipple in no time. That's why we are called "professionals".
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 3, 2008, 05:02 AM
    Mark can always call skilled person who will utilize correct approach to this problem and with proper tools and bit of effort - he will thread that nipple in no time. That's why we are called "professionals".
    Milo, we can answer every question we get with. Call a plumber but that's not why we're here. We're here to give options for a do it yourselfer. If there's a way to get around calling in expensive outside help we present it and leave it up to the asker. Certainly it would be best to have threaded connections but if the asker doesn't consider that a possibility then we give him the next best option for him which is adresser coupling, Why is it so difficult for you UPC guys to think outside the box? Regards, tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Grandfathering of galvanized pipe [ 1 Answers ]

Why is galvanised pipe not a good idea in a house? Why should it be removed? When was code written to outlaw it? Thanks, ewalk

Copper pipe to iron pipe [ 2 Answers ]

How would you connect a 1/2" copper pipe to a 1/2" galvanized iron pipe that has been cut and has no threads? Do I need to re-thread the iron pipe, screw on a brass attachement and solder the other end to the copper? If so, what is the name of the tool use to re-thread the iron?

Galvanized Pipe Stuck [ 4 Answers ]

http://mysite.verizon.net/fdraw/pipe.jpg Rusted galvanized pipe nipple is stuck in fitting in wall behind tile under bathroom sink. :( I have tried to remove it with a large pipe wrench, but it won't turn. I looking for any suggestions to get it out without damaging threads in fitting; WD40?...

A/C not cooling, Small Copper pipe COLD and Large Copper pipe room temp. [ 4 Answers ]

I just moved into a newly constructed townhome and the a/c units are of course new. The A/c is not cooling at all. The machine inside turns on as well as the one outside. The inside A/C makes a strange sucking sound kind of like if you were sipping something out of a cup with a straw and you ran...

Low Pressure with galvanized pipe [ 1 Answers ]

I am having low pressure/volume when I turn on the hot water, especially in the shower, the kitchen sink, and the dishwasher. I do have some galvanized pipe, but this problem came on suddenly this winter. Could the hot water heater have anything to do with this? It is 14 years old. Is there any...

View more questions Search