Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kwalker905 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

May 15, 2006, 05:44 PM
    Ceiling repairs
    I am doing some remodeling in an old farmhouse. The original ceiling is the lath and plaster. The previous owner then covered it by gluing ceiling tiles directly to the ceiling. My initial intent was to cover the ceiling tiles with a new layer of "blue board" and have it replastered. However my plasterer indicated that this would add too much weight (the ceiling would consist of lath/plaster, ceiling tile, blue board, thin coat plaster). I started pulling off the ceiling tiles, but the thousands of glue blotches are darn near impossible to scarp off. I tried a heat gun which seems to work somewhat (it results in about 3 to 4 minutes per glue blotch). At this rate, it will take many days of scraping. Does anyone have any suggestions? I would like to stay with a simple country / shaker appearance.

Thanks to everyone who makes this website successful.
    skiberger Posts: 562, Reputation: 41

May 15, 2006, 07:33 PM
    After you get the glue off what are you going to do next, replaster or blue board then replaster? Reason I ask is if you do the latter why not just cover the glue? Get a hammer and flat chisel and hammer off the high spots of glue then cover over.
    One option would be gut the ceilings down to the framing. This is a messy job but it also gives you an opportunity to run new wiring, plumbing, heating/ac ducts/pipes and even insulate.
    kwalker905 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

May 15, 2006, 07:51 PM
    Skiberger, Thanks for the advice. My hope was to basically keep the ceiling as is (old plaster) and just skim coat that areas that needed to be touched up. However with the number of glue blotches , you are right I'll basically have to skim the entire ceiling. I'll try your suggestion of chisling the glue. What I have seen so far is that the glue is tough enough that the chisel does not cut it off as much as ride up over the glue!
    Yes we also thought of tearing down the entire ceiling. Actually this is my preference but after seeing the mess from doing this to portions of the walls my wife was hoping to have a "cleaner" option!!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Auto Repairs [ 1 Answers ]

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) My daughter has a 1993 Nissan Sentra 1.6L. On one of our very cold days, her car would not start. Prior to this , the car ran fine! She had it towed to her favorite garage where they diagnosed a timing chain problem! Yes, this model/year does in fact have a chain... I...

Auto repairs [ 2 Answers ]

My 90 Nissan Sentra's brake lites recently quit working,I Ck'ed all fuses,& replaced brake pedal stop lite switch. They still don't work.Anyone have an idea?

Internal repairs [ 1 Answers ]

I am a bookkeeper in a repair shop the employs vehicles that make road repairs. In this instance though, the vehicle needing the repair is our own. We just switched computer systems recently, and this new system requires us to create a full invoice for this kind of transaction. Prior to this,...

Interior Wall&Ceiling Paint ? - suggestions needed for repairs! [ 5 Answers ]

We recently had to do some remodeling in my living room to accommodate an electrical switch, overhead light, and 2 wall sconses. This included a contractor making several holes in my ceiling and walls and repairing the holes with drywall. The drywall looks great, however when he came back to...

Auto repairs [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 1990 Honda Accord 2.2L. My problem is that the radiator cooling fan cycles on and off numerous times sometimes 5 or 10 minutes after the car has been shut off. It will only remain on for a few seconds at a time. I have replaced the coolant temperatore sensor for the ECU: also the...

View more questions Search