Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Sep 17, 2008, 04:07 PM
    120/240Volt electric baseboard heat thermostat issue
    Hi all...

I had an unusual issue today and hoped I could get some help from my online friends!

Below is a schematic of a thermostatic switch that came with a 120/240 volt electric baseboard heater.

I have 120 Volt entering junction box of heater and the thermostatic switch as presented. I tried to wire it as I thought it should be wired but got no power to element...

Would love to know how you guys think this should be done. I tried two different ways and both resulted in no heat.

The 1st time I wired this I blew the breaker. The second time, I think is correct, but I got no heat so I am hoping it is just that I blew the breaker (an old bryant breaker... have 4 on my cube van). I had to run of to emergency water heater install so could not check, but it's really bugging me tonight.

How would you wire this??

Thank you...

MARK
    Attached Images

KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Sep 17, 2008, 04:19 PM
    IF the Heater is indeed 120 V. If it's 120/240, then there may be some jumpers to deal with. Note the Bold IF.

There should be LINE and LOAD marked as well, LINE is the input.

BLack to L1 and through the switch and to the element like you have.
    Disconnect the other end of the heater and connect directly to the white wire which is neutral. With 120, you don't need, nor want to, switch both.

This info is only valid for a 120 V heater and a 120 V power source.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Sep 17, 2008, 04:40 PM
    No jumpers...

That confirmed it. Exactly how I wired it... the second time! Thanks Ron.

Looks like I blew the breaker! Thank goodness I have a few on my well-stocked truck!

Thanks...

MARK

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Electric baseboard heat [ 2 Answers ]

Getting ready to install electric baseboard heat. Need to do four separate rooms, some single runs up to ten feet, with some rooms having two six foot units by using standard calculations. From material read, I will need double pole 20 amp breakers, and using 12/3 wire What is difference...

Electric baseboard heaters -no heat? [ 3 Answers ]

Electric baseboard heaters -wiring 1 thermostat to two heaters I am using only one 240V #12 2 wire circuit running two heaters at a total of 3500 watts (one heater is 1500 and the second 2000 watts). I'm using 2 pole 20A breakers and 2c #12 wire. My plan is to have both heaters controlled...

Electric baseboard thermostat [ 1 Answers ]

I need help replacing an old electric baseboard thermostat with a digital programmable one. Keep in mind, I do not know much about electricity/circuits, etc. The baseboard specs are 240V, 1000-1250W (two 1000W, one 1250W in the living room). They are running on a double pole, 20Amp circuit. I...

Electric Baseboard Heat ?'s [ 7 Answers ]

Hi All, I have electric baseboard heat in our home, and each room is controlled separately. And this may sound dumb... do I need to have the heat set at a certain minimum temperature for the winter? (we live in MN) Also, is it more cost efficient for me keep them in each room on at a...

Baseboard electric heat [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone have any recommendations for brands/style of baseboard heaters? Have looked at hydrosil, they claim to be efficient but are higher priced units. Are the fluid/gel filled units that much more efficient than the cheaper units? Thanks

View more questions Search