Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CwoteOner Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Sep 17, 2008, 02:53 PM
    Another Multimedia Audio Controller Problem
    I can't find the driver for my multimedia audio controller, and knowing my luck I probably posted this question under the wrong section. I've already gathered all the info for my motherboard and it's not much, but maybe someone could figure it out or tell me what info I need to gather. Thanks...

-Main Circuit Board: KT600-8237
    seahwk83 Posts: 3,276, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Sep 17, 2008, 08:41 PM
    Need a little more info

Can you describe the problem exactly?

Have you checked device mgr to see if any yellow marks exists?

What makes you say you are having driver problem?

When did it work last?

The operating system you're running, and its version.

The exact text of the error message if possible, this may convey a lot of information.

Any hardware add-on devices that you think might be related to the problem you're seeing.

Any changes that either happened or that you perhaps made to your computer around the time that the problem started; particularly any software or hardware that you installed or setup.

Sep 18, 2008, 03:02 PM
    I received this computer from a friend in pretty poor condition, it was basically just a bare bones PC and I added all the necessities excluding a sound card. It is currently running windows xp pro with sp2. The problem is the motherboards on board sound/driver. I have checked the device manager and there is a yellow question mark over the multimedia audio controller. I haven't received any error messages I just can't find any drivers for the audio controller. Here's a little more detailed audit of my desktop.

System Mode VIA Technologies, Inc. KT600-8237
    Enclosure Type: Desktop (duh)

Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2
    1.85 gigahertz AMD Sempron
    Board: KT600-8237
    Bus Clock: 166 megahertz
    BIOS: Phoenix Technologies, LTD 6.00 PG 09/13/2004
    c: (NTFS on drive 0) 118.20 GB
    Multimedia-None detected

Hope this helped a little.
    Ultra Member

Sep 18, 2008, 03:34 PM
    First thing to try is to right click on the controller that has the yellow mark and choose uninstall and say OK

Close all windows and restart windows, on restart, windows will attempt to load an audio dirver for the device. Check sound when back in windows

If this does not help, does the audio controller have a name assigned to it or just multimedia audio controller?

So I am assuming this is an on-booard sound card.

Sep 18, 2008, 07:15 PM
    I did what you said and it worked at first but then I encountered a problem. It is in fact an on board sound card and I found out that it's a C-Media AC97. The driver started to install but then has an error and I'm missing a file cmuda.sys , also instead of a question mark in the device manager it's an explanation point, and it say's (the device cannot start)(code 10). Hope this helps further, and also thanks for your help so far... oh and I'm not sure which driver from the c-media website is the correct one..
    Ultra Member

Sep 18, 2008, 09:56 PM
    Give this a go

Download and save (For the future if you ever need it again)

here is a link:

C-Media 9738 AC97 Codec/UDA Driver 5.12.01.0042
    http://www.softwarepatch.com/utilities/cmedia-9738.html

-Go to device manager and right click on controller and choose uninstall and say OK
    -Close open windows and go to file downloaded and run

Hopefully this is it

Sep 18, 2008, 10:29 PM
    Well... That is the right driver but I never got it to work for the on board sound which I would have preferred and would still like to troubleshoot. However I was so concerned about the on board that I failed to notice (and forgot) that the game port had sound ports also, so for now I have sound. As for the on board same the installation seems to go fine but when it gets to 94% and is waiting for the device to be ready it stops. I think this problem is also linked to the usb ports because there not functioning either.

Any more ideas or info is greatly appreciated thanks much for the help, hope this gets resolved soon
    Ultra Member

Sep 18, 2008, 10:40 PM
    So I take it after trying to install it you still have a yellow mark in controller?

Is that the only item that has any yellow marks?

Have you tried to right click on the controller and choose update driver to see if it can find anything on its own?
    Ultra Member

Sep 18, 2008, 10:43 PM
    Try this and see what comes up
    DriverGuide.com

It will scan your PC and let you know if there are updated drivers avail.

To be able to download drivers from their site, you have to register for free, just takes a couple minutes and then you can access their database of drivers

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Multimedia Audio Controller /REALTEK AC'97 Audio [ 10 Answers ]

Hi - it appears that the multimedia audio controller problem that I had has now morphed into a REALTEK AC'97 Audio problem. I loaded a driver for the mother board to fix the MAC problem after helpful folks assisted me in getting the specs on the motherboard (ECS PS45A/DX+1.0 if it makes a...

Multimedia audio controller [ 2 Answers ]

I have a micron 920i; 3gb ram;xp pro,sp2; sound blaster audio processor (wdm), sound blaster audigy 2, DR release 1.4.2. Problem: I was getting static when trying to play music--with windows media player, realplayer, itunes, etc. Soon after I just lost all sound. Power is going to the speakers...

Multimedia audio controller [ 5 Answers ]

I guess I deleted something that I shouldn't have off my compter... now I have nooooooo sound. Its driving me crazy.. I've tried to fix it myself but I cantt.. ive looked at forums.. I went to a lot of websites to download the drivers.. I went to the device manager thing and I see the yellow...

View more questions Search