Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ashley velez Posts: 67, Reputation: 1

Sep 17, 2008, 01:29 PM
    DVD burner, what's wrong?
    Ok I have a dvd/cd burner. It has always worked until just recently. It is able to read & play dvd's and cd's without any problems, but when I go to burn a cd or dvd it says, please insert a blank cd/dvd, even though there is already one inserted, I tried a variety of different blank dvd's and cd's, it just works when it wants to work. Randomly it'll work, like one out of 20 times it burns with no problem. I have tried updating the driver, but it says I have the best one for it, I have also tried lense cleaner, has anyone had this problem before? What could be the issue? Is my dvd/cd burner just broken? also there are no errors for it in device manager, it says it is working properly.
    WallyHelps Posts: 1,018, Reputation: 136
    Ultra Member

Sep 17, 2008, 02:40 PM
    One easy thing to try is a different brand of blank DVDs. Did you recently buy new DVDs?

Just a thought,
    WallyH
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Sep 17, 2008, 02:48 PM
    Have you recently uninstalled any CD/DVD burning software?

Sep 17, 2008, 08:03 PM
    No
    seahwk83 Posts: 3,276, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Sep 17, 2008, 08:33 PM
    Even if you are not getting any errors in device mgr, go to this link and follow method 2,
    This will resolve the problem many times but not all, so it is worth a try.

The changes made by following method 2 will not effect your computer in any way if it does not resolve your problem. If concerned about changes made after giving it a try and it does not work:

-When you first open regedit, click file and then export and export registry to your desktop
    -If you would like to undo the changes made by following step 2, just click on the shortcut on your desktop that you exported the registry to and everything will go back to the way it was before making changes.

You can no longer access the CD drive or the DVD drive, or you receive an error message after you remove a CD recording program or a DVD recording program in Windows XP: "error code 31"
    mechanickid Posts: 248, Reputation: 5

Sep 17, 2008, 08:44 PM
    The laser may be going bad.
    seahwk83 Posts: 3,276, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Sep 17, 2008, 09:21 PM
    Agree, if not a software issue, look at the hardware, If you have access to another DVD drive, see if that would be abe to burn in your machine to test out the hardware aspect

Sep 18, 2008, 08:12 AM
    Well Try as Seahwk stated, in trying another dvd burner if you can, if another works than its something in your burner,

I seam to remember that once I had some major burning issues a few years back, and to fix I actually rolled back the firmware of the burner, did your problems come after an update? When you say a lens cleaner what type did you try?

If worse comes to worse, internal dvd burners are relatively cheap to replace and easy to do :)

What brand is the burner? Do you know the model #?
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Sep 18, 2008, 09:12 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mechanickid
    The laser may be going bad.
    ashley velez agrees: :( I sure hope not
    Hey, a DVD burner can be purchased for $20 if you just look around. Probably a LOT better use of your time than frustrating hours and hours away trying to get the old one to work.

Buy a new one, takes 10 minutes to install, and 10 minutes after that it's working. That's my recommendation.

Sep 18, 2008, 12:56 PM
    It is HP DVD Writer 840b, I think it had light scribe too
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Sep 18, 2008, 04:31 PM
    Lightscribe is an AWESOME idea I never use. Media costs more and it takes a LONG time to scribe those label sides.

Unless you're an avid fan, I wouldn't fret losing that feature, too much. You can also buy a Lightscribe enabled replacement, it will just cost more.

Sep 18, 2008, 04:44 PM
    Your best off just getting a new one, I think hp's won't let you roll back the firmware, but even a lightscribe burner is about 35 to 40$,, in anyevent getting a new one will most likely lead to a step up in burning speed. I've seen them as cheep as 25 after shipping so its not bad at all, just don't go to best buy or circuit city to buy it or replace,

Replacing is easy as cake :)

Turn off the power and pull the plug, make sure your using demagnitized phillips screwdiver.

Matter of taking off your side panels, unless your case is tool-less in which case its so easy, taking off front cover and squeezing the tabs pulling forward, and swap.

For a non tool-less just remove sides, take out the screws holding the burner inplace usually on each side, and swap and reverse to assemble.

See easy

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I need some one to tell me what's wrong and if any thing is wrong [ 12 Answers ]

My Partner And Me Have Been Having Sex For A Year Already But For 3 Months He Has Done It With Out A Condom And I Have Not Gotten Pregnant And We Really Want To Be Parents. What Is Wrong?:(

CD Burner [ 9 Answers ]

My CD's will play, but unable to burn a CD. Message keeps on saying INSERT A CD. I have inserted about 20 new empty CDs and am still unable to burn. PLEASE ADVISE! Thanks! Shirley

Dvd burner [ 1 Answers ]

I want to start burning my movies onto blank dvd to keep in my collection without having to buy every movie, what is the best dvd burner out?

Wrong place at wrong time [ 11 Answers ]

Hello all Would like you r insight for my sister and her husband. They were recently arrested for murder in the 1st degree and conspiracy to commit robbery. They both claim that they were not going to rob the guy whom was an ex roommate but ask him for the money they felt he owed them when a friend...

Cd burner [ 1 Answers ]

Step by step procedure to download songs on cd( I do have cd burner)

View more questions Search