Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    specops3 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 15, 2006, 11:44 AM
    RTH230B Thermostat Problem
    This goes out to anyone who might be able to help out. I purchased a Honeywell
    RTH230B to replace the old mercury thermostat. I have a gas furnace w/ A/C
    I have a 5 wire system with the following color code. Green for the fan, Yellow is on Remote A/C, White is on the W1 (Thermostat), Red also on (Thermostat), and Brown on Remote A/C. My question is I have wired the new thermostat as follows and I have no A/C operation and the fan will not come on when placed in the on position. The red is in the Rh slot, Brown is in Rc position, White is in the W position, Yellow is in Y position, and Green is in the G position. I hope I wired this correctly, but if not does anyone know the correct wiring? Furnace worked all winter, but now it's summer and I need the A/C to work. Any advise would be very helpful.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

May 15, 2006, 01:46 PM
    Is this a Heat Pump system/ why is there two remote ac units? If you do have a Heat Pump, this thermostat will not work.

On the new stat:
    Rh = heating control feed or power In
    W = Heating relay or control feed Out
    Rc = Cooling control feed or power In
    Y = Cooling control feed or power Out
    G = Fan control

The only reason this stat handles five wires is to allow for two separate 24 volt control sources , one for heat and one for cooling. If there is only one control power source, then Rh and Rc get jumped.

Hope this helps
    Glenn Voisin Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 6, 2006, 09:14 AM
    Can I control an exhaust fan using a thermostat with 110 volts is are 24 volts needed?
    Glenn
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jul 6, 2006, 03:32 PM
    If you plan to use the exhaust fan for warm or hot air, then you can use a line voltage (120 Volt Rated) cooling thermostat, the switch closes on temperature rise.

24 Volt system also needs a transformer and a relay, along with a Low Voltage stat.

Here is one that is for a finished space:
    http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg...mId=1613553304

Here is one for an unfinished space:
    http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg...mId=1611760764

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Problem with Honeywell RTH230B thermostat [ 20 Answers ]

Hi, I have hooked up the thermostat (replaced an old analog Honeywell unit) and had the same wiring as the one on this post https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/...ead.php?t=14531 (ie on the old unit, the blue wire to the Y terminal and a yellow jumper wire from the Y terminal the back of the unit -...

Programing Rth230b Thermostat [ 2 Answers ]

I have had my Honeywell RTH230B thermostat professionally installed. The installer left me with "you can program this when you have the time." We experienced a heat wave and I can't blame him since he was inundated with service calls. I have the 4 page Installation and User Guide in both English...

RTH230B Thermostat - Air or Fan Not Working [ 6 Answers ]

I installed a RTH230B Thermostat this winter. Heat worked fine all winter. Went to turn on the air this week and it wouldn't come on. I have 5 wires (Red, Blue, White, Yellow, Green). The thermostat has connections for Rh, Rc, W, Y, and G. I had the yellow wire in Rc and the blue wire in Y. I...

Set RTH230B Honeywell thermostat [ 0 Answers ]

I recently bought a Honeywell RTH230B 5-2 programmable thermostat. Having trouble setting it-- Could someone who knows this stuff tell me simple to understand --How to set this thermostat? It keeps going above the temp I have it set on by as much as 4 degrees.

Honeywell RTH230B Thermostat [ 1 Answers ]

I recently installed Honeywell #RTH230B thermostat to replace and old Honeywell # T87F( old round non digitital type). I have oil burner with basebaord water heat. Since my olf thermostat was 2 wire only and I have no AC I pulled the jumper wire between Rh and Rc as per the instructions. Thj9is...

View more questions Search