Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    marlonzeke Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 17, 2008, 12:22 PM
    Returning text from several cells into one cell
    I would like to return the following information
    Cell A1 Cell B1 Cell C1
    One Two Three

In one cell. The answer could be a combination of the possible combinations. Obviously the formula may have some condiational statements (IF) as well as a macro that concactenates.
    One: Two: Three:
    One: Two:
    One:
    Two: Three:
    Three:
    One Three

The output however could be a combintion of the six options above. We must be able to type in information in the cell to the right of the text. Also, we must have the ability to retypr information without destroying the setting/formatting.

Mm
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Sep 17, 2008, 02:35 PM
    Getting the text from multiple cells into one is a simple concatenation formula:

=A1&" "&B1&" "&C1

If you want to be able to "type" after it, you're out of simple luck. You'll need another cell for that special typing... say D1.

=A1&" "&B1&" "&C1&" "&D1

To change the order (your six options) requires you to simply reorder the formula as desired.

There is no simple way to automate any of this beyond this level. If I read you question accurately and you'd like some sort of automated selection of up to six different combinations AND the ability to type in the same cell after it... you're talking about sophisticated integrated VB programming, which I doubt you're ready for.

Sep 18, 2008, 05:58 AM
    Jbeaucaire, thanks for the expeditious response. I imagined as much. My boss wants this feature, but I'm not a programmer. I would try and simplify. I believe I would have to place the output in one cell and have a blan cell adjacent to it that asks the user to input the options identified in the 'output" cell.

Thanks
    Marlon

Sep 18, 2008, 06:06 AM
    J, my ultimate struggle is that I only gave you thi simple example. I actually have seven variables. So keep me honest here. I can actually have a total of 5020 options/combinations as possible ansers. If so, would it be a challenge to have the conditaional IF statements given that there is a limt (I believe) to the number of IF statements one can use.
    mm
    Software Expert

Sep 18, 2008, 08:59 AM
    If statements can go 7 level deeps. Can you describe the 7 variables and the decisions that go into deciding if you want to show them or not in the result?

And by the way, the "comment" field you want to add would make eight, right?
    Software Expert

Sep 18, 2008, 09:05 AM
    Listen, sometimes you get stuck in the process trying to get to a specific result through a preconceived idea of how to get there.

Instead, completely present the result desired. If you can do that, a solution can usually be designed. From what you've said so far, your boss may need to be ready to spend some money to get a programmer to give you what you want.

A spreadsheet is great at mixing data and reformatting it... but 5020 permutations of a single result? That's over the top. You need to rethink what the data is for, why you need it in this format, and what the point of seeing it that way is. If you are going to do something specific with the result, what is it?

I just ask all of this because I've had bosses ask me to do things for years that took DAYS of programming and fiddling just to get it done and then they say, "Cool, that looks nice, thanks." In the end it changed little... wasn't worth the effort.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Anyone know how to print text messages from Cell. [ 6 Answers ]

Hi my name is Tonya and I have a KRZR K1 from Motorola, I have to print out some text messages that are needed for a legal matter and I have asked other people and they all tell me that it can't be done, but I know that SOMEONE out there can help me figure out how to get a locked text message off...

Birthday Cell Phone ! & text messaging [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, My parents said I can get a cell phone for my birthday, and all my friends have text messaging too. I also want texting but I'm not sure how much it costs. I have t-mobile and its Family Plan 1000 minutes. I was wondering how much it would cost for just ME <---- having texting ( cause my...

How does cells and cell division factor into ecology and biodiversiy? [ 3 Answers ]

How does cells and cell division factor into ecology and biodiversity?:eek: :confused:

Returning your cell phone to shops for recycling [ 2 Answers ]

I am wondering if you can throw some light on this? Numerous companies are offering their services free to take your old cell phones for recycling. Even if you delete all contacts / info. From your phone and remove sim card, can any data be retrieved?

Looking for cell company with unlimited min & text [ 3 Answers ]

Right now I have verizon wireless and our bill for 4 phones is 250.00 a month. Our plan is up in 2 months and our next plan will only have 2 phones. I am looking for a cell company that has unlimited calling and unlimited text for a reasonable rate. Oh yeah and good coverage we are on the road a...

View more questions Search