Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    magic06 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 17, 2008, 10:30 AM
    Air conditioner works intermittently
    Our AC works for a while then stops cooling. If we set it for 78 degrees, it will cool to 78 then stop. When it comes on again it will send out lukewarm air that is very humid. To get it to start cooling again we need to turn the thermostat down really low, like to 60, then it becomes too cold in the house. The unit is 3 years old, it's a Carrier 3 ton HVAC unit 12 SEER sold by Sears, and has never really worked right. We have had coolant added and diagnostics done. We were told our ducts were to small and in bad shape so we just had them fixed, but the problem continues. Our house is a 1700 sq. ft. one story built in 1974. We live in the central valley of California. It's very hot and dry here in the summer. Any ideas? Thanks for your help.
    wheatnbarley24 Posts: 63, Reputation: 3

Sep 17, 2008, 04:21 PM
    That could be any number of problems, is the outside unit running during these "lukewarm" spells? Is the fan on the outside unit running but not the compressor?
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Sep 17, 2008, 04:23 PM
    Sounds like the thermostat is out of calibration. If you know what you are doing you can jump the thermostat out of the circuit and see if it starts coling right away
    magic06 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 20, 2008, 08:13 PM

OK, thanks for the answers. I will have the thermostat checked out next.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Airhandler (inside blower) works intermittently [ 5 Answers ]

Help! Please I recently changed my heat pump capacitor after fan stopped working. Two days later, blower to inside unit stopped. After turing off all the breakers (i.e heat pump and inside blower motor, etc.) it worked for two days. Then I changed capacitor to air handler unit, thinking this...

Compressor fan works intermittently [ 10 Answers ]

The compressor fan for my AC (Central Air) unit (that is located out side of the house) works intermittently. The fan comes on for few seconds and then turns off. Sometimes I can hear some noise from the compressor unit before the fan turning on. Any help is highly appreciated. Best...

Central Air works intermittently [ 6 Answers ]

We have relatively new house. The central air was installed in 2001/2002. This is OUR first time using it. First thing I realized was the circuit breaker for the condenser and fan was bad, so I replaced that. The unit ran fine for a few days. Then we shut it off for a few days. When we...

Blower works intermittently for A/C [ 1 Answers ]

I have an old York furnace with central air. When turning on the A/C, sometimes the blower comes on, sometimes it doesn't, and sometimes it toggles off and on with a loud clicking sound. If I use the manual switch on the limit control, everything is fine, but of course, then the blower is on...

Dryer works intermittently [ 6 Answers ]

My Kenmore dryer stopped working mid-cycle during a heavy laundry load (lots of jeans). You could push the START button, but it would only hum but not move. My husband opened it up, found some rubber bands that were keeping the dryer drum from turning. It then worked - for one load. On the...

View more questions Search