Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rosebonifacio Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 17, 2008, 10:29 AM
    Purchase of property
    Hi, A property was purchased (house) for approx $15k and it was then sold for approx. $84,000, how would I record this transaction. Would I set the purchase of the house up as an equity account?
    AdamUTsel Posts: 100, Reputation: 2

Sep 17, 2008, 11:40 AM
    No.

Your original entry when you purchased the home (assuming you paid cash):

Dr. Property - House 15k
    Cr. Cash* 15k

*If financing was used, this would be a note payable that would be reduced over time as the house was paid off (interest would be recorded monthly as well).

Depreciate Home over useful life:
    Depreciation Expense xxx
    Accumulated Depreciation xxx

Sale of House entry:

Dr. Cash 84,000
    Dr. Accumulated Depreciation XXX
    Cr. Property - House 15,000
    Cr. Gain on Sale XXX

As you know, land is never depreciated. However, its current value is likely to deviate significantly from its historical acquisition price. Improved real estate, such as office buildings and warehouses, are depreciated, but their current market values may actually increase over time. So if a business owns significant amounts of real property, the historical cost principle can significantly distort the portrayal of its economic condition.

GAAP does not allow the adjustment of fixed assets, such as real estate, to current market values primarily because managers would constantly be tempted to overstate the value of their fixed assets to improve the appearance of their firms' economic condition. In effect, the historical cost principle is applied because accountants believe that distortions of economic condition that involve understatement of asset values are preferable to distortions caused by overstatements.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lien agreement on purchase property [ 3 Answers ]

There is existing lien agreements(5) to a property I want to purchase. These lien agreements are for "Agreement for Improvements in Public Right of Way Ordinance #### " . It looks like these agreements were placed on the property when they converted it to commercial property. There are (5)...

Does non-ownership by Seller of a property constitute nullilty of purchase contract? [ 1 Answers ]

Major builder/seller sells lots for houses to be built upon. Seller's agent presented four Lots from which Buyer was to choose. Buyer chose a lot, house was built, deal when through escrow, warranty deed, title policy, survey, etc. Six months later, Buyer found Out from Tax collector that he...

The purchase of property with a lien [ 2 Answers ]

What if I had purchased an item that may have had a lien on it, who is resopnsible for the lien? Province of Manitoba.

Property purchase [ 1 Answers ]

I recently bought a mobile home through owner finance on payments for seven years. How do I get that included onto my credit report as an active entry since I did not go through a finance company? Will this entry help my credit score improve?

Purchase of Property [ 2 Answers ]

I would like to know what the journal entry would be for the purchase of a Property. This property was purchased in cash with private owners funds. Should I account for the Building and Land Separately? And since the cash paid was the owners own funds, what would be the account to credit?

View more questions Search