Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Rachelm1123 Posts: 16, Reputation: 2

Sep 17, 2008, 06:25 AM
    Ashamed of PTSD
    I have been diagnosed with bipolar disorder for 10 years. I have actually been almost completely med free for about 2 years. Last fall, I began to have pseudoseizures and was also diagnosed with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. I was emotionally, verbally and physically abused as a child - and still have frequent contact with my abuser (my dad). They live close by, and I am also pregnant with my first - and will be my parents 1st grandchild. I have flashbacks. It is also extremely difficult to be around my family, because of the way they treat me. My father was physically abusive until I moved out at age 21 - but continues to be emotionally and verbally abusive at times. My family does not know that I have been diagnosed with PTSD, and that was causing my seizures, and that I will be starting trauma-abuse therapy in December. I feel that if I tell them, they will tell me that I am "making a mountain out of a molehill", and that "why would you tell anyone that private information?" I feel more ashamed about the PTSD diagnosis than the bipolar diagnosis - and I should not feel ashamed about either one! They make me feel like I'm playing the victim, or I should just "get over it". My dad even told my sister when I began having seizures that "sometimes she just does that stuff for attention." I was shocked, and thought it was my fault! How do I address the PTSD diagnosis and treatment with my family without getting blamed, or "playing the victim card"?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Sep 17, 2008, 06:32 AM
    You are an adult, correct... not to be condescending, but what business is it of theirs that you are trying to work through your problems and be trauma free?

This is something that you need to do for you and for your unborn child, not for them. It is none of their business. If you let it be their business, you will remain the victim.
    DrLang Posts: 98, Reputation: 10

Sep 17, 2008, 09:40 AM
    If your family (and more importantly your abuser) refuses to acknowledge the damage that has been done and is still being done, then I'm not sure how you are going to have a meaningful relationship with them. If you tell them about your PTSD, your father will almost certainly play the blame card. I used to have a friend in a very similar situation, and I have seen how damaging this is on people.

Your feelings of shame are a common situation from others in your situation. I hate to suggest distancing yourself from them, but you may want to consider it as an option. If they are going to refuse to be part of the solution, then your recovery is going to be much more difficult.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

PTSD is it me? [ 4 Answers ]

Ok long story guys but I have recvd positive feedback from this site during a breakup and wanted to revist and see if someone out there can help me through this storm. I have been going through a storm recently and this magnified several ongoing situations. My dad recently contacted me and...

Friend with PTSD [ 10 Answers ]

Just some background for you before we get to the questions: My friend has PTSD (post-traumatic stress disorder) from something that occurred in his childhood. I've probably had something similar happen as well, only he has a better memory of what really happened while I only get the occasional...

I think my husband has PTSD [ 1 Answers ]

My husband has been back from Iraq for two years. In the past three months he has started having dreams and flash backs. He has told me that he keeps reliving one specific event over and over. He also said that it seems that there is someone in his head screaming to get out. He has also told me...

PTSD relapse [ 15 Answers ]

A few days ago I had quite a major relapse of my PTSD symptoms. It was triggered by recent family events, especially something that happened this past Sunday. I know I'm being vague, but I'm not ready to talk about it right now. Those of you who know my family situation probably have an idea of...

View more questions Search