Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Stargal Posts: 5, Reputation: 2

May 14, 2006, 10:32 PM
    Landlord harassing me to move
    I'm a disabled person with an in-home-care provider. I have lived in my rented home (2 houses on one lot) for 7 years.
    Sept 2005 the propery was sold to a couple with 2 children. They moved into the rear house and after a month of living there, told me they were the new landlords and that I need to find somewhere else to live because they were going to make the place I live in a day care center for small kids.
    I live in Los Angeles there is a housing shortage, we are invaded with a lot of persons coming into L.A. Ca.
    Because of L.A. Housing department of Rent Stabilization and the fact that I'm disable,
    The law says that with 2 homes on one property that to relocate me is a price of $8,200.
    They will not even give me "A notice to Move"
    Because THEN they would have to pay me.
    So since Sept of last year they have made my life a horror story.
    From sawing lumber until the wee hours of the night, making louds (like hitting my house with a bat about 4:00am in the morning) telling me that they need to come in my place and take up the carpet and putting down hardwood floors.
    I could go on and on... what can I do?
    These people know that I have heart problem, I told them.
    And every couple of months they want a new paper from SSI so make sure that I'm disabled.
    Please help me... what can I do?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

May 15, 2006, 11:31 AM
    Hi Star:

Well, you've got to call the cops on them and then sue their asses off.

But first, install a couple cameras that are operated by motion sensors, and record everything. You can probably do it fairly cheaply or hire someone to do it surreptitiously.

Then, you just might own BOTH houses.

excon
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

May 15, 2006, 02:28 PM
    I am sorry to hear you are being treated so badly. Can you locate "Legal Aid" or some other free/sliding scale legal help organization locally? Look in the front of your phone directory or call your social worker, minister, doctor, etc and ask. I believe you will need some legal help with this and it may take some ingenuity on your part to find the free or reduced fee help that is out there. Meanwhile, a written dairy of events (date, time, brief description of event, if possible who is involved) will suffice in case cameras are out of reach. Good luck and meanwhile, don't hesitate to call the police if you ever feel your life is endangered.
    Tommyp!972 Posts: 300, Reputation: 36

May 15, 2006, 03:14 PM
    Not being mean here but doesn't the new owners have the right to improve their property even if its an inconvenence to you?is there not sound ordinances or something when they can start or end work... here in ny anything being nailed or constructed before 7am can not be done I think because of my local noise ordinance... but telling you that they need to rip carpet or tear apart your apartment in order to improve it and as long as they give you sufficient notice doesn't sound illegal to me.. sounds crappy but not illegal
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 15, 2006, 04:17 PM
    I will just speak my piece here while legal and I do feel sorry for you, an owner of a home should have the right without penalty to evict someone for other use of the property. As an owner of several rental properties, I would never accept the government interference with my rights to ownership.

It offends me that the government would interfere with private ownership of property. It sounds pure unconstitutional and a vioation of right to own property.

Sorry, but the fact they would have to "pay" you to move you beyond a months rent or perhaps a local moving company van, just does not sit right with me.

May 15, 2006, 10:46 PM
    Thank everyone for their wonderful input.
    I know what I have to do.
    I can get a lawyer, I have sisters and brothers.
    My brothers just live out of state.
    I just want to let everyone know... this is a perfect website, that I will tell every person I know with a computer.
    You will put a person at ease and make them feel good.
    Now... Like I said, I have Section 8 where the state pays the landlord 3/4 of the rent.
    The landlord gets this money the 1st of every month and I also pay my part. (over $1800 per month)
    Every year there is an inspection, to make sure the house is up to part with all regulations.

Everything has to be perfect.

The house pasted inspection last month... because my sisters, cousins, friends came in a week before the inspection and made all the repairs.
    The landlord did nothing, even with water flooding the kitchen... I called them at work..
    The said, "We don't know any plumbers"

Thank God, I have a 2nd cousin, that lives 5 blocks away, that is a plumber.

So, If the inspection didn't pass... (housing authority) would not pay the landlord and I would have to move. Or pay the whole amount of money myself.

This is what the landlord wanted to get rid of me.

So I Tommy or Frank, what did the (They) landlord have to upgrade? Nothing-- They would like to evict me, but I'm an plain honest person I don't do anything illegal. Nothing to make their life hell. No noise,no music, only company is quite company, no kids to deal with... and I never get in their space. I don't even go in the back yard where my trash cans used to be... they are in the front, close to my porch.

Oh, would you believe that I put a sign in my yard next to the porch, to vote for my senate.
    Do you know they broke it . And I ask her why when she (landlady) remove it.
    She said, "You didn't ask me, if you can put a sign in my yard"

Every other house on the block has a sign in their yard, for the person they want in office, voting is June 6th.

This Landlord, in 7 months have cut the grass 3 times. No repairs... a person that hates you.

My father put up bars on all windowns and a bar gate few years ago. I've upgrade this property before they came. And I have recipes and paper work to prove it. I loved my old landlord but she passed and her sons sold the houses. (never quite paid me for everything)

So my problem is, don't harass me... just go by the laws of California, serve me my notice to move and I will. They will not do that. So I'm in a harassment to move problem.

But Hector and Vilma Larios (the new landlords) can bearly speak English but they own propery in the USA.
    And they know enough English (at times) to let me know... "I don't have another 90 days for you to move, with or without relocation fee"
    I have to have my front house asap.
    Now, my good people... first they needed for me to move, because they wanted to have this house as a Day Care Center... Now the latest lie, "Hector said, " I have a large family and my mother and father are coming from Mexico and they have to have somewhere to stay"

I have heard them call me a "stupid white old cracker" in spanish... You pick up the language after being around it for over 30 years

Well... You all don't have to reply to this... I know what I have to do... thank you wonderful people... I just had vent my feelings.

Thank you again for being there to help me.
    Stargal
    rd68 Posts: 122, Reputation: 10

May 16, 2006, 10:04 AM
    First Ask to see a deed to the apartment and if they say no get a lawyer.By law they have to give at least a 30 day notice. But to me they sound boggus .so my advice is to hire a lawyer.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

May 16, 2006, 12:30 PM
    Contact section 8 and ask them what can be done since they do pay the rent and inspect the house .Second keep all the receipt for any work done as the landlord should be responsible even if you have to go to small claims court. Try to get legal advice ,just because you are disabled doesn't mean your helpless.:cool:

May 16, 2006, 11:40 PM
    This is for Fr-Chuck,
    I know about the homeowner is California... And I know if I had to relocate
    A tenate, I would be pissed because of the Relocation fee.
    Be these people can into the housing knowing I lived here and was disable.

But this is an insert from the "City of Los Angeles Housing Dept"
    Mercedes Marques, General Manger.

Relocation Assistance Requirements
    Is any current tenant in this rental unit 62 years of age or older?

Is any current tenant in this rental unit disabled or handicapped?
    Disabled, as defined in Title 42 U.S.C. §423, or handicapped, as defined in CA Health & Safety Code

Is any current tenant in this rental unit residing with one or more minor children who are legally dependent on that tenant (as determined for federal income tax purposes)?

If the answer to any of the three previous questions is YES, the tenant is a Qualified Tenant and the tenant household is entitled to relocation assistance in accordance with the level set forth for Qualified Tenants in Los Angeles Municipal Code (LAMC) §151.09 G. If no current tenant meets any of the above listed requirements, the tenant household is entitled to relocation assistance at the level set forth for all other eligibletenants in LAMC §151.09 G.

THE FOLLOWING RELOCATION ASSISTANCE LEVELS SHALL APPLY:

From through Unit with a Qualified Tenant

July 1, 2005 June 30, 2006 $8,200

July 1, 2006 June 30, 2007 $8,550

If the rental unit is currently occupied by two or more tenants, each tenant shall be paid a pro-rata share. In accordance with LAMC §151.09 G.2. the landlord shall pay relocation assistance amount owed to the tenant, either directly or via an escrow account in the tenant’s name, within fifteen(15) days of service of a written notice of termination.

DECLARATION OF LANDLORD
    I hereby declare that I am evicting the tenant(s) at the rental propertyidentified on this form for occupancy by a resident manager in accordancewith the requirements of Los Angeles Municipal Code (LAMC) §151.09 A.8.(b) and that I may be held responsible for providing monetary relocation assistance to the tenant(s) being evicted in accordance with LAMC §151.09 G. I understand that the rent for any subsequent tenant(s) is not decontrolled and therefore must be established at the rental amount of the current tenant plus any increases or decreases allowed by the Rent Stabilization Ordinance in accordance with LAMC §151.06C. And RAC Regulation 920.00.
    educatedhorse_2005 Posts: 500, Reputation: 78

May 17, 2006, 03:29 AM
    Call who ever you need to to this is harassment and you shouldn't have to live with it.

The most important thing is you need proof of the wrong doings.
    So document document and document some more.
    In Wyoming they have to give justifible reasons to evict you.
    From the sounds of it these people don't have it.

May 22, 2006, 12:10 AM
    When I first moved to this house in 1/2000,
    With my own money, I had installed 19 bars on each window. Also 2 Bar doors (front and rear)

Then 2004 later I had installed 11'8" of fence with one swing gate with sharp arrows on top with one double cylinder lock $650.00

I made a deal with that owner and he lower my rent until he me for most of it. (The gate)
    Well, I didn't make a big deal about it because I assumed I would be here a very long time.

But now that I can't even reach the old owners and the new ones... don't even want me to touch the gate.
    So instead of my trash cans being in the rear of the house, mine are in the front of the house.

See there is a walk-way between the two front houses (where the gate is) and you get to the back house and yard going through this gate.
    In the back yard was 1/2 mine and 1/2 their front yard. And in the rear of their house was a very hugh private yard.

Can I remove this gate or make them pay me the balance or what?

Oh, and if you don't know about Los Angeles, it's a MUST to have bars doors and window bars

Tried in L.A.
    Stargal

May 22, 2006, 12:57 AM
    =I want to tell you all what I am going to do.
    Fair Housing told me to tell The Larios's
    (landlords) that in order to paint my house and upgrade it (and she Vilma Larios, says, they don't have the money for the plumbing in their house, that makes the loud noise in my house, it's horrible.)
    They still assume that it's frightening me.
    I've gotten a sound/white noise machine and I don't hear any thing when I'm sleep.
    Remember, they only turn the noise on in the wee hours.
    Oh, let me get to the good part.
    Law says that he can upgrade his property (the income property) Mon-Friday business hours and Sat.
    The house he lives in, he can bang until about 9:00pm
    The first time he does anything to the place where I pay rent, and suppose to have Quite Enjoyment... I'm calling the cops.

I can't afford the camera w/ motion detectors.
    But I will get a Polaroid camera and call the police every day. And get a report for my records and any other kind of dirt on these people.
    Because this man... seems to be on something that he can't has to be doing something,
    He's off work at 6:30pm and finding things to do around his house... ANYTHING!
    Until he goes to bed.

Excuse me if I repeat myself... but I'm really stressed out
    educatedhorse_2005 Posts: 500, Reputation: 78

May 22, 2006, 01:31 AM
    You probably realize that these people aren't going to move out.
    But if you do call the cops enough they will get the picture that you aren't moving either.

Have you tried to get your neighbors involved on your side.
    If they start to call the cops also then maybe your landlords would make a turn for the better. And start to you help out more instead of being a hindrance.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

May 22, 2006, 07:26 AM
    Fight or move
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

May 22, 2006, 07:57 AM
    Hello again, :

Good for you! I think fighting (and WINNING) is so much more fun than running - specially since you've got such **'s as landlords. I again encourage you to use a video camera. It speaks so much LOUDER than words. I'm sure you can get a surveillance system fairly cheaply these days. I know money is an issue, but I suggest that this will be money well spent. Call a couple security companies, and then call a spy shop.

In a pinch, I'll bet you could even use a webcam and save the images to your hard drive.

excon
    workhorse Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jun 8, 2006, 08:44 PM
    In one of your postings you mentioned that they, the landlord's want to upgrade the house, good, let them. But make sure they follow the law you posted Mon-Fri 9-5. Be prepared to live in construction mess for a while. As far as you upgrading things on your own, well from where I stand that is on you. You are making improvements to their property for your enjoyment/peace of mind.
    bhayne Posts: 339, Reputation: 4

Jun 9, 2006, 03:05 PM
    What does your caregiver say? That's the unbiased one!
    dingles Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 12, 2010, 10:42 PM
    This is complete and total harassment and hope it all works out in your favor. If you were my parent, I would be there in a heartbeat fighting for your rights. I too hope you end up with both houses. The only way you will be able to prove the harassment is by installing cameras. I hope you can afford them and put them in ASAP! Good Luck and prayers are sent your way for a outcome in your favor
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Nov 9, 2011, 08:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by regfarfield View Post
    This is harassment, ...
    Who cares? Not the OP. No one but you. This thread is from 2006. That's some 5 years ago.

I care so little that I didn't even read the rest of your post. :rolleyes:

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bad landlord [ 3 Answers ]

Should I refuse to pay rent if landlord is not being responsible about making repairs

Harassing or annoying calls [ 4 Answers ]

Is there any law against companies, private or public, continuing to make annoying phone calls to your private residence even after you have left messages on their answering machine to stop? Also is there any law dealing with how late in the evening they can call? I have the same company calling...

Am I a Landlord? [ 7 Answers ]

I invited my 25 year old daughter and her small children to come to my house and live after they were homeless in Florida in the fall of 2004. They arrived in March of 2005. Since moving in she and her small children have ruined my carpet, walls and one toilet. They are slobs and she hasn't...

To move or not to move - Tub Drain [ 3 Answers ]

Hi there, I am installing a 72" soaker tub into a properly roughed in basement bathroom. The soaker tub's drain is not in the traditional spot and is positioned in the middle of the length of the bath. I have a 2" snub up located about 24-30" from where my tub drain will sit. Do I have to cut up...

Neighbor boy harassing my daughter [ 7 Answers ]

My neighbor is 15 years old, and his mouth is atrocious. He calls my 12 year old daughter the filthiest names, which embarrass her, since he does this when she is with her girlfriends. His parents make him apologize, but then it happens again and again. This has been going on for 4 years. Since...

View more questions Search