Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    PaintingMom Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Sep 16, 2008, 08:43 PM
    Troj/wlhack-F Webroot can't seem to quarantine it
    My webroot scan can't seem to quarantine a trojan/virus labeled Troj/wlhack-f

An alert comes up saying that a threat was detected running in memory. To ensure proper removal of this threat, close any applications that are currently open and click OK.

I can tell you that I don't have any applications running and this can't seem to get kicked out into quarantine. It also says that it was detected in c:\windows\system32\winlogon.exe

Doing some research there is some debate whether the winlogon is a virus or not. Some websites say whatever you do, don't delete the winlogon. Others say it's a virus and remove it immediately.

I also have malwarebytes.org and it doesn't detect this virus or error at all... just the webroot detects it each time but can't do anything with it. It just says quarantine failed.

Help
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Sep 16, 2008, 09:37 PM
    The one that detects and tries to quarantine... then fails? Run that one again after you boot into Safe Mode.
    PaintingMom Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Sep 17, 2008, 07:29 AM
    Did the suggested SAFE MODE. Still no luck. It's still there and can't be quarantined. Any other suggestions. Emailed webroot 4 days ago and haven't responded. Great company.
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Sep 17, 2008, 10:21 AM
    Ideas about webroot? No.

I use AVG and it can be used for free. The PRO version includes rootkit protection, so it was worth the upgrade to me after using it successfully for so many years.

So, download this for free:
    AVG Free - Download installation files & documentation

If WebRoot isn't working, uninstall it (you can reinstall it later), install AVG Free and give it a whirl. Should only take a few minutes, so it's worth the effort.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search