Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    djrossiter Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 16, 2008, 02:09 PM
    Cable Signal Not Passing through HD Set Top Box
    I have a Scientific Atlanta Explorer 3250 HD set top box, which is not interfacing well with my Pioneer DVR 533H DVD Recorder.

With Cable (coax) going IN to the set top box, and cable out (coax)going out of the same box and going IN to the DVD Recorder, (with DVD out going to the HD TV), the HD TV portion is working perfectly. There are component video cables etc. connected elsewhere, according to recommended installation instructions, and I am able to watch standard and HD programs normally.

The problem starts when I need to access the tuner within the DVD recorder needed to record TV programs. The tuner is not getting a signal. (Note: My DVD Recorder is not HD capable; however, the DVD Recorder isn't recognizing a cable signal, period. I checked online, and discovered that the set top box works with a VCR (on cable out) but doesn't mention DVD specifically, suggesting that the box is pretty old. If I connect the cable in directly to the DVD recorder (bypassing the box completely), the DVD Recorder functions perfectly.

What do you suggest? (I'd prefer not having to replace the DVD Recorder with a PVR at this time). Thanks!
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Sep 16, 2008, 02:29 PM
    If you are using the Cable out to DVR, that is tuned by the Scientific Atlanta Box.
    Can you use composite out of cable box into DVR?
    djrossiter Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 17, 2008, 07:11 PM
    Re: Connection of composite cable from Set Top Box to DVD Recorder

I'm unclear as to how to make that work. The only available jacks left on the box are Audio Out L and R. Would I not need a video jack also?

All other RCA jacks on the Set Top Box are in use for connecting the A / V Receiver. There is also a receptable for Optical Audio Out, one for DVI, one for S-Video, and 2 for connection of IEEE1394 devices.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Sep 18, 2008, 04:15 AM
    Can you go from cable box, to DVR, then to A/V receiver?
    They do make audio/video amplifiers that has 2 or more composite(red/white/yellow) or other outputs.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

2weeks late & passing passing clots [ 1 Answers ]

My period is weeks late and yesterday I had some bad cramping. I had some light bleeding & then I passed to large clots. I have never had any clots this size before. I am still bleeding. Is this just a late period or am I having a miscarriage ?

Check signal cable error [ 2 Answers ]

OK here's the deal.. my dad took something out of my computer so I couldn't play games on it .Now I want to know what he took so I can buy it from a store.Anyone help please.I can still turn on my computer,hear a beep, feel the air coming out and my comp is pretty brand new so how old my comp is...

Wall mount for cable, how do I prepare for cable line? [ 3 Answers ]

I want to move my T.V. across the room, I have a wall mount with the wire there. What do I do to the wire that is not cable prepared to look like the one that is now being used? I need step by step instructions. If anyone can help me please!! :confused: Signed single mom trying to save a few...

Check signal cable [ 1 Answers ]

After fitting a new cd burner on start-up I get the message --CHECK SIGNAL CABLE -- what does this mean and what is the signal cable

Please Check Signal Cable [ 4 Answers ]

Hi guys, I'm new here... I got a problem with my old PC. Suddenly that word appear on my monitor... I can see the power led, also cd led... but not harddisk... I already replace video card and relocate RAM.. also use another monitor.. still got the same problem... Don't u think my...

View more questions Search