Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Dragonfly1234 Posts: 161, Reputation: 49

Sep 16, 2008, 01:34 PM
    If you have doubts, does it mean you're not ready?
    Hi everyone, I have been with my husband for several years and we have custody of his son from a previous relationship. The child went from being a toddler to a pre-teen and for the past few years we've talked about having more children. We both agree we want more children but we can't seem to make up our minds as to when. It seems there is always a reason why we should wait another year. I know that most people will say that there will always be a reason to wait but my question is, if you are indecisive, is that an indication to keep waiting? I'd like to hear from other mothers, did you feel you were ready even if you had some doubts? Did you quiet those doubts or did you wait until you were 100% sure that now was the time? Will we ever be 100% sure or will we always be a bit hesitant to go for it?
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Sep 16, 2008, 01:53 PM
    I was 100% sure with the first two, went back and forth with the third then just threw caution to the wind and let fate take over, went back and forth again with a fourth... decided to stop with three, but was pleasently surprised (after the initial shock) with the fourth when the decision ended up not being our's to make... :)

You are correct, there often will be some reason or another that you can come up with as to why you should wait, but I guess you will have to determine how major those reasons really are.

Most people find things have a way of working out, and while they may change a few aspects perhaps about when a pregnancy came about, they wouldn't trade it for anything. Once you become pregnant, you have quite a bit of time to get used to the idea as well... :)
    ang8318 Posts: 299, Reputation: 27

Sep 16, 2008, 07:26 PM
    I was never 100% ready. My husband and I wanted children very badly, but like you, came up with many excuses why we weren't ready... we needed a bigger house, to pay off our car, to get healthier and quit smoking... then we quit smoking, got heathier, paid off debt, and bought a new house. We then found other little reasons not, then one night, we just decided to let things happen, I quit taking my pill... although we still had doubts, we now have a nine month old son who we can not imagine our life without, and I am so glad that we just decided to let things happen because I have the best thing ever sleeping in a room down the hall... no doubt about that!!
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Sep 16, 2008, 07:33 PM
    I always new I'd have kids, there was no doubt about that. We waited until we were married for 2 years and then started trying.

I was unsure, like ang8318 said, there was always a reason, house, car, debt, work, you have it. It took 7 months and I finally got pregnant. I was uneasy, about foolish things. Not being able to go out whenever we wanted, not having parties at our hourse, or going to other parties. Changing my house, changing my entire lifestyle.

That all changed the moment I felt my son kick for the first time. He's 10 now, and I have a 6 year old daughter and lost one child to miscarriage. I love being a mom, it's the best thing I've ever done. No regrets. :)
    Dragonfly1234 Posts: 161, Reputation: 49

Sep 17, 2008, 05:35 PM
    Thanks, that's exactly the kind of stories I was looking for.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Paternity Doubts [ 3 Answers ]

My boyfriend and I split up in December of last year and got back together mid January this year. Problem is, I found out this April I was pregnant (the doc said around 10 weeks) and while me and my guy were separated I ended up fooling around with my ex. Now the doc gave me a due date of Dec. 2...

Custody doubts [ 3 Answers ]

Hello I'm amie and I am 18 I have a 15 year old friend who is in need of help her mother and step father abuse her consantly and I don't think this is right she has often asked me if I wuld get custody of her I thought it was a joke but then she is getting really depressed and withdrawn shuld I try...

Doubts in a relationship [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I am from england and am in a sticky situation at the mo.I am in a relationship with a wonderful guy and it is long distance about 86 miles which is not a lot.We are getting married next year and I have started having doubts that I am not attracted to him enough etc.I have one failed marriage...

I have my doubts [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, well I meet someone in internet, of course he says he will come to my country and he will stay like 2 or 3 years, I truly find suspicious, and something tells me that he is been not sincere, I don't know if it is only that I am paranoid, at least some things I know he is telling me the truth...

Tax doubts F1,OPT, H1 [ 1 Answers ]

I am from Singapore. I arrived in the US on Dec 19 2001 on a F1 visa. I completed both my Bachelors in Fall 2004 and Masters in Spring 2006. From January 2006 till April 2006, I was working as a research assistant. There is a short period when I have not been working. I have been on OPT since Jun...

View more questions Search