Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Luvless_69Chevy Posts: 28, Reputation: 1

Sep 16, 2008, 11:41 AM
    95 Camry 4 cylinder Engine balancer?
    I have a 1995 Toyota Camry with a 4 cylinder. I had to pull the motor due to what sounded like a TERRIBLE rod knock. I have a new motor already and I am swappin parts from old to new. The old motor has what I have since found out is called a balancer on the bottom of the motor. I have no idea what this does. I am assuming it helps to balance the motor. But it already has a harmonic balancer on it. What does this do? Also I found out it needs to be shimmed. But my manual says nothing about this part. I had to go to the dealership to even find out what it was called. They then tried to sell me a new one for $560 and the manual that tells me how to shim it.
    Does anyone know whether this part can be re-used? How it is shimmed? And what the hell does it even do?
    I am stumped and having to pay for a $600 part after tax and all that, is about what I make in a month, so I am not sure how I will afford to even get this thing.
    I am also worried if this part should be re-used since there was a bunch of metal shvings in the pan when I pulled it. It looked like the pig tails that come from drilling something on a drill press. THAT has me more worried than anything.

Thanks in advance.
    kitch428 Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Sep 16, 2008, 03:23 PM
    You can swap it over and use the same shims, but I'd take it apart first and inspect the bearings. Just mark everything before you do.
    Set TDC and mark that too. It must be installed at TDC #1

Both Honda and Toyota has these to get rid of engine vibration so common with 4 cylinders.
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Sep 16, 2008, 05:50 PM
    Those shavings are probably part of the first engines failure: likely bearing material.
    If the motor you are putting in doesn't have a balancer geared and bolted to the crankshaft, it is possibly from a different model year and can be used without the balancer, but only if the crankshaft doesn't have the gear that meshes with that balancer.
    Clear as mud so far?
    If the replacement motor does have the gear-on-crank, kitch is right, you can bolt the balancer up with the shims from the first motor. Make certain that the balancer spins freely before you install it. Pre-timing is critical.

Sep 18, 2008, 10:33 AM
    So I have to mark the engine at TDC beofre installation correct. And then install the part. Is there any sort of way of knowing anyhting about the gear lash? Someone told me something about setting the lash correctly, or destroying the part and the gear below.

Thanks so much so far.
    ANML FARMER Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Sep 18, 2008, 11:24 AM
    The Balance Shaft Is For The Dampaning Of Motor Vibration,
    If Metel Was Found Part Is Probably Junk.
    As For The Shimming, I Strongly Recommend Getting A Book
    The Prosedure Is Very Persise:) :)
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Sep 18, 2008, 05:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Luvless_69Chevy
    So I have to mark the the engine at TDC beofre installation correct. And then install the part. Is there any sort of way of knowing anyhting about the gear lash? Someone told me something about setting the lash correctly, or destroying the part and the gear below.

Thanks so much so far.
    The shimming process is to set the gear lash. Once installed, the lash is almost imperceptible: you can see a little movement, but not much.

Sep 23, 2008, 12:13 PM
    Awesome guys. Thanks. I plan on looking at tonight. Will post something about it once I'm done.

Sep 29, 2008, 11:18 AM
    I took it all apart, and it looked good. I saw no scoring on the bearings. I saw no metal shavings inside the balancer, so I am going to risk it and try it. If I have to put a new one on, I can do that while it is in the car.

Thanks so much guys.
    kitch428 Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Sep 29, 2008, 03:31 PM

Yes.

At TDC, the twin shafts of the balancer (installed) should have what looks like dowel pin holes on the ends sticking out.
    They should be both be pointing straight down. 6:00 position.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What would cause gas to run from one cylinder of my engine? [ 5 Answers ]

I have a 26 hp Briggs & Stratton Engine with one cylinder flooding the other side is fine. ronglo1

Harmonic balancer [ 3 Answers ]

How do I change the harmonic balancer in a 1993 buick 3.8

Harmonic balancer [ 3 Answers ]

How do I get the harmonic balancer off my ford ranger, to replace it?

Engine Light on a 2002 Camry after fueling [ 6 Answers ]

Over the last six months, on three separate occasions my engine light on a 2002 Camry has come on shortly after fueling. The car manual suggests that sometimes the engine light will come on after fueling and that the light is not a result of any engine problem. It suggests taking off and...

View more questions Search