Sep 16, 2008, 10:28 AM
    Calculating net income with only account balance changes
    I have the following:

Account balance changed for 2008:

Assets - increase 400K
    Liabilities - increase 150K
    Capital Stock - increase 120K
    Add'l paid-in capital - increase 110K

They also paid out 20,000 in dividends and assume no other changes to retained earnings, what is net income?

It is all the problem gives and it is in a textbook, so it is a pretty safe assumption it can be done.
    AdamUTsel Posts: 100, Reputation: 2

Sep 16, 2008, 12:19 PM
    Net Income should equal $40k.

Use A = L + OE to solve

400 = 150 + OE
    250 = OE

Owners Equity Changes

Capital Stock 120
    APIC 110
    Dividends paid (20)
    Net Income XX
    = 250

xx = 40.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Calculating net income [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I am working on a homework problem and need some help... I have a company's balance sheet, which includes retained earnings. My assignment is asking me to calculate net income. I also know the amount of dividents paid out. How can I calculate net income from the information on a...

Asset account and its contra account balance is called? [ 2 Answers ]

I was unable to fined the answer to this question in my learning material. Thank you in advance for any help with this question.:)

Calculating Net Income [ 1 Answers ]

How does further investment by an owner affect the net income? Example: Revenues ae $100,000 Expenses are $50,000 Owner invests a further $25,000 in the company during the accounting period. How do I calculate Net Income and how does the owner's investment effect the net income?...

Does the Income Summary Balance go to Income Statement [ 3 Answers ]

I am doing a 10 column worksheet and I have a credit $ amount in the Income Summary account in the Adjusted Trial Balance. Do I move that to the Income Statement or the Balance Sheet section of the worksheet?

Calculating net income [ 3 Answers ]

Vision Corporation's financial statements for the current year include the following: Income from continuing operations $744,000 Prior period adjustment (increase in prior year net income, net of taxes 228,000 Cash dividends paid to preferred stockholders 242,400 Gain from...

View more questions Search