Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tonyesp Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 16, 2008, 06:32 AM
    How to test electric components of generator
    Hi I am a new member and living in rural spain. I have a Honda genny. Only a 2kw to power tools etc. It was working fine! I turned it off and then restarted 1/2 hour later and it has stopped putting out any power. I have pulled it apart and everything looks OK but don't know how to test individual components. Can anyone help? I am quite practical and have some mechanical experience.
    Hope someone can help.
    rsain2004 Posts: 207, Reputation: 6

Sep 16, 2008, 06:54 AM
    You'll need a multi-meter to check the windings' continuity and to check for grounding. What sometimes happens: A surge caused by sudden loss of load (instead of a gradual loss) causes the voltage regulator to fail, or the solid-state regulator fails from heat. You'll need a multi-meter to check that also. When the regulator fails, there is no excitation to the generators' field windings... Good luck...

Sep 16, 2008, 06:08 PM
    Another thought: A common cause of failure is running out of fuel, while on-line and under load. As RPM decrease, voltage decreases. The regulator senses the voltage drop and strives to counter it by increasing excitation... to the point of overload and failure. Good luck...
    tonyesp Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 17, 2008, 11:31 AM
    Thank you rsain 2004 for information. What are the figures I need to look for though,and what setting do I need on the meter. Sorry if seems like a dumb question but I haven't worked with electrics before.

Sep 17, 2008, 10:32 PM
    No one is born knowing these things, everyone learns all the time. Continuity and ground checks don't have complicated "numbers" except in special situations... yours isn't such a case. If the windings are grounded, one probe on a bright, shiny frame "ground" and the other probe on a field wire (disconnect both sides first) will show "0" Ohms on the meter. If the windings are "open", each probe on each end of the same winding will show "infinity" on the meter. To see this, turn the meter to any "resistance" or "Ohm" scale. Touch the probes together and read the meter... that is what a ground looks like. Then hold the probes apart... that is what infinity looks like.

Sep 17, 2008, 10:41 PM
    For voltage regulator checks, one must supply specific power to the regulator, then measure its' output. These numbers vary wildly according to manufacturer. Look on the regulator and determine who made it, then search the web for them... their site may help. Don't expect the "jenny" manufacturer to help you, they want you to bring it to them for repair... They make more profit from repairs than they make from sales... Good luck...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Analyzing Components [ 1 Answers ]

Assuming that the adjustment for Supplies consisted of a credit to Supplies for $3,200 and a debit for $3,200 to Supplies expense, would that effect the 10-column work sheet

Components in a loop [ 4 Answers ]

What component is present in every part of a loop, such as one that involves proteins producing energetic molecules from sugar?

Tax components for H1B worker in the US [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, May I know the different components of tax (both federal and state) a H1B worker in the US need to pay? I know there will be some differences of percentages depending on the total income range and the state and also on number of dependents etc. Assuming an H1B worker is single and has no...

Electric generator wiring [ 3 Answers ]

I have a DeVilbiss electric generator 5000 watt 120/240 volt @ 41.7/20.8 amp- it has a switch that connects the 240 volt . It has one 120 volt outlet and one 120 volt 4 prong receptacle. As stated , it has a switch to connect the 240 volt capability. What I want to do is make a new pannel for...

View more questions Search