Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    passmeby Posts: 473, Reputation: 11

Sep 16, 2008, 01:52 AM
    Teaching a young child
    Does anyone know any good books or techniques regarding teaching a 3 yr old reading and the alphabet?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Sep 16, 2008, 02:24 AM
    I don't think a three year old would be ready for reading exercises but I do believe that the alphabet and numbers l to l0 could be managed. Use your imagination. Word association such as A is for apple and have an apple on the table is a good idea, etc. but 'slowly' is the key. It all depends on where they are in communication. If they aren't talking yet, then I don't think it is a good idea. Their vocabularly may not be ready enough at 3 years old.

Sep 16, 2008, 05:41 AM
    Well, we do do letter recognition. She certainly doesn't know all of them, but knows the lettters that "mean" something to her. She just loves to be read to and also pretends to read books, so I thought she may be ready to learn a bit more, but I have no clue how to teach reading.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Sep 16, 2008, 05:56 AM
    Phonics, which teaches by sounds, is a good way to start and may work for a very young one. Visit this website and see what you think:

Hooked on Phonics
    ISneezeFunny Posts: 4,175, Reputation: 821
    Ultra Member

Sep 16, 2008, 06:04 AM
    At the age of 3, I think a simple alphabet book, like A is for Apple, B is for Bananas, and things like that, would be sufficient enough. I know there are 4 year olds that can read simple words, but right now, at the age of 3, I'd start there.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Sep 16, 2008, 06:22 AM
    Simply spending time with your child looking at children's alphabet books is the best schooling they can get. Some of those Vtech toys can be quite educational as well but nothing replaces showing and sharing your knowledge with your child in a fun and happy moment.
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Sep 16, 2008, 09:39 PM
    From my wife, Director of 4 preschools:

"Our preschool uses the Leap Frog Sing and Read Series. The child learns through music and repetition. Our Pre K Classes love it. Scholastic also put together an "Alpha Tales" Series that we use also. Children just want attention and to have fun, whatever you choose to use, make it fun and creative."

Sep 17, 2008, 07:59 PM
    Thanks for all the good suggestions! The only thing I am opposed to is the V Tech/video game stuff. I'd prefer not to go there. I'm old school!

I was thinking maybe we could write our own books together and illustrate them too. She loves doing crafts and is quite creative.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Sep 18, 2008, 03:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by passmeby
    Thanks for all the good suggestions!! The only thing I am opposed to is the V Tech/video game stuff. I'd prefer not to go there. I'm old school!!

I was thinking maybe we could write our own books together and illustrate them too. She loves doing crafts and is quite creative.
    That would work... could also use old magazines to find letters and sight words in and make a collage on construction paper. Could carry it into making displays or posters with word families such as cat, sat, hat, etc. and she can start recognizing these in the magazines. Children this age also start to "read" environmental words that become very familiar... the stop sign, name of the supermarket you go to, favorite restaurant, etc..
    ANB428 Posts: 450, Reputation: 42

Sep 18, 2008, 03:45 PM
    I would suggest little alphabet puzzles, flash cards, and books that have a word that the letter starts with. Those alphabet lines are good too. There are also some electronic keyboard type players that light up and have the letters on them and when you push A is says A is for apple, B is for Boat, C is for cat. My daughter learned her ABC's at two years old, so it is possible. She just now turned three and can count to 10 in english and spanish and is learning sign language. She is also starting to learn how to write. So, it is possible. Her teacher at daycare has worked with her though for the past two years. She would get her alphabet keyboard type player out all the time and sit there and push A, B, C etc and that is how I think she picked up most of it. I wouldn't give her a word to read first, I would break it down into separate letters so she isn't looking at a whole bunch of letters, she would be focusing on one. Another suggestion would be to get a little chalk board and write them one letter at a time. That is what I am doing with my daughter to help her learn how to write. When she just started learning her letters I had a styrofoam puzzle, and the letters would come out. Then she would input the letters into the correct spaces and slowly she would start naming them. A, B, C etc. with my help of course. Good luck!
    danielnoahsmommy Posts: 2,506, Reputation: 297
    Ultra Member

Sep 18, 2008, 03:51 PM
    My son is 5 and still learning. Regarding the idea of books. We love it. My son draws the pictures and dictates the story to my and I write it in the book. We have done about 6 of these and he reads them over and over.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Are we to Young to have a Child ? [ 15 Answers ]

Me and my girlfriend are very much in love I would want nothing else in the world but to have a child with the woman I love But we both have different views towards parenting My main priority is wheather or not we are ready for a child I'm 20 years old, and she is 19 years old.. She...

Traveling with *young* child [ 6 Answers ]

:confused: I will be traveling with my son by air plane. He just turned 4 years old. I am kind of nervous that when the plane starts moving, or goes up, or if he looks out the window, he will be afraid. I thought about okay- close the window, but he can look through some one else's.. Also the ear...

View more questions Search