Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    amber-doo Posts: 34, Reputation: 4

Sep 15, 2008, 10:00 PM
    Disability retirement
    My mom is pretty sick and should've been on dissability a long time ago. How do I get some good information on getting her on dissability? Also, what about health insurance when she is on dissability?
    CESElizabeth Posts: 81, Reputation: 7

Sep 15, 2008, 11:58 PM
    How old is your mother? Has she ever worked? Is she married? Socialsecurity.gov is a website that has information on disability programs with the federal government but it is important how you fill out the information, you need to stress what she cannot do. First you need to see if she qualifies. How old are you?

Frankie
    amber-doo Posts: 34, Reputation: 4

Sep 16, 2008, 10:13 AM
    CESElizabeth,

My mom is in her 60s, either 63 or 64... :confused:
    She has been divorced for 25 years. I'm pretty positive she doesn't get alamony. She is supposed to get some of my dad's retirement but, he won't retire for awhile. I don't know if that makes a difference?
    She has worked as a hair dresser (mostly independent) since she was 19/20 and a photographer (with a company) for over 40 years. She has only been able to go to work for, maybe, an average of an hour a day, to the photography place where she just makes phone calls. She hasn't been able to return to hair since she went into the hospital, for 3 weeks, about 3 months ago. I am 28. I looked into getting her put on my insurance through work but they only allow dependents under 22. She has lupus and has been dealing with an enlarged spleen and abnormal blood counts for over 6 months. They still haven't figured out what is wrong with her. At one point, she had to stay with my 90 year old grandparents because she was too weak to be on her own, I don't live in the area. Now, she is living at her home but can't really do much.

I really appreciate any help you can offer!
    CESElizabeth Posts: 81, Reputation: 7

Sep 16, 2008, 11:25 AM
    The first thing you need to find out is if she qualifies for Social Security Disability. My email address is molarius5984 at yahoo.com. Please contact me there. Frankie
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Sep 20, 2008, 04:31 PM

Getting SSD is not easy and can take some time to get approved. In the meantime, you need to start trying to get the paperwork in gear to get her approved. Some cases are bumped up in line ahead of others, but even then the wait time can be months and months. As soon as your mom gets one turn down by SSD she can retain an SSD attorney to help her get her benefits. Until you are turned down at least once an attorney cannot help you file or fight SSD on your behalf.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

The Best Retirement [ 7 Answers ]

I am over 45. What are some of the better retirement funds to put my money into at this time? Or would an annuity be better?

$12,000,000 at retirement. How? [ 1 Answers ]

If you want to have $12,000,000 at retirement. You start to deposit $40,000 per year at 12% into your retirement account. How many years will it take you to have that amount? And how do you calculate this information to get that answer?

Learning dissability [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I have a learning disabilty and find it hard to study and remember what people have said to me. I have spelling difficulties including maths I need to improve in my studying how do I do it. :mad:

Learning dissability [ 8 Answers ]

I want to know how to let my kid concentrate and start to enjoy studying. He is in grade 10 and done very bad the past term. He is more interested in being on the streets instead of sitting with his books to improve his grades. Your advise would be appreciated Regards

Legal issues with ss dissability [ 2 Answers ]

Hey, Wanted to find out the legal issue with my situation on ss disability. I am a veteran and after a 6yr fight with ss disability I finally got it. I was injured an wasn't able to go back to work. Before I got hurt I used to ride bikes. Well after the last 3yrs of sittiing in and doing nothing...

View more questions Search