Ask
    vdanika Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 15, 2008, 09:27 PM
    Owners equity
    As an investor, is paid in or earned capital more important, why
    As an investor, are basic or diluted earnins per share more important, why
    AdamUTsel Posts: 100, Reputation: 2

Sep 17, 2008, 11:47 AM
    An investor would rather see earned capital (i.e. net income from prior periods). This solely reflects the performance of the business. Paid in capital is money given by investors (i.e. shareholders of the company). This does not reflect performance of the company, but rather investors willingness to to invest in a company's future performance.

As an investor, diluted EPS is more useful. But first, understand the two concepts: Basic vs. Diluted to understand why. In financial reporting two EPS numbers are commonly reported: Basic and Diluted EPS. The Basic EPS is calculated by dividing income available for distribution to common stockholders by the weighted-average number of common shares outstanding. The number calculated this way excludes any possible dilution stemming from outstanding dilutive securities, such as options, warrants, convertible bonds, or convertible preferred stock. Diluted EPS reflects the potential dilution from such dilutive securities. The companies that don't have any dilutive securities, or the companies that report net losses, report only Basic EPS. In case of a net loss, dilutive securities would improve negative EPS and have an anti-dilutive effect. The value of diluted EPS is always lower than basic value and is more relevant in investment decisions, since it indicates somewhat of a worst-case scenario. Since dilutive EPS is more relevant, investors would prefer this data when making investment decisions.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Owners equity [ 1 Answers ]

Jerry Iron invested $500in a short-term enterprise, selling soft drinks during the annual orientation week at his university. He paid the university authorities $100 for the exclusive right to sell soft drinks on the campus lawns, the center of the celebration, and constructed a stand from which to...

How do you get the beginning owners equity [ 1 Answers ]

If the ending owner's equity of $4,013, additional investments of $2,585 withdrawals of $1,114, and net loss $2,893.

Owners [ 1 Answers ]

What part of a balance sheet do Distributions to owners reside? Is it an assest? A Liability? Where do I put these figures in order to detrmine my OE?

Owners Equity [ 2 Answers ]

I am from Engineering background and studying finance for GE Analytics. Wanted to know in layman :D terms how would you define Owners Equity with a suitable example :confused:

View more questions Search