Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    irobound Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 15, 2008, 07:32 PM
    Zone valves on hot water furnace wearing out
    We have lived in this house 15 years. So far we have replaced the 3 zone valves in our furnace 3 times. Is this normal wear and tear or what is going on. These are very expensive and my husband is NOT a handy man
    rsain2004 Posts: 207, Reputation: 6

Sep 15, 2008, 09:07 PM
    From my boiler experience days, you may have acidic water in your system. Checking the water Ph is simple, and cheap... Litmus paper strips are available. Most systems require antifreeze in them, which should be replaced on schedule, it's already chemically adjusted, and contains corrosion inhibitors. Perhaps installing a zinc sacrificial anode plug, in the system near the boiler would reduce the cost... the plug would have to be replaced periodically, but it's cost is considerably cheaper than the valves'... In any case, periodic monitoring of the water Ph should be done to reduce costs.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Sep 16, 2008, 03:50 AM
    Irobound...

Are you replacing the entire zone valve (draining system amd cutting out and replacing entire valve) OR are you just replacing the POWER HEADS form the zone valves (unwiring and twisting head off)?

How old is the boiler?

Let us know...

MARK

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wiring old taco zone valves 555-102 to furnace [ 1 Answers ]

Help! I have a two zone system of water base boards hooked up to an oil furnace (or is it a boiler?). I had it serviced a month ago and I just realized that the wiring on the two zones, which are controlled by taco 555-102 zone valves, was reversed so that the wrong thermostat controlled the wrong...

Is there a lubrication for furnace gas valves [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have a Natural Gas furnace that I have had converted to Propane for use in my shop. I use it only occasionally and it works well but the valve passes. Once the pilot is lit everything works well except that while in idle the gas valve passes to allow a small amount of Propane gas to...

Wire zone valves [ 3 Answers ]

I have a oil fired boiler with taco 562 zone valves.My wires are from transformer red&green.Wire from thermostat are red& green.On my zone valves the wires are red,green&yellow.Aperson who said he could fix zone valves had taken all wires off the zone valves.The zone valves have numbers 1,2,3,which...

Zone valves [ 2 Answers ]

Looking for a wiring diagram for a new dunkirk boiler . Just the diagram for the 3 zone valves. Company says that the boiler transformer is enough to run three zones ( 24v) . Or do I need to add transformer. Just can't figure out the wiring from one zone valve to another. Contacts on each zone are...

View more questions Search