Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Kingcharger Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 15, 2008, 07:04 PM
    Moving kitchen sink cut up the slab floor cani pour concrete on top
    I am moving my kitchen sink from one side of the kitchen to the other I located the 3" discharge line which is about 5' from my new sink. I have cut the concrete and i am about put a 3 x 3 x 2 tee and then run my 2" line along and up under the sink to the p trap with a 90. ( I hope this is correct) after that can I just pour concrete on top of the pipe in the trench. I am in California and worry about earth quakes. Do I need a vent. There is only a shower connected to the 3" line with a vent 4 feet away?
    Thank you
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Sep 15, 2008, 07:10 PM
    According to California Plumbing Code, pipe should not be in direct contact with concrete. You have to wrap it with 6" white plastic foam wrap made specially for this purpose. The wrap is about 1/8" thick . You wrap it around the pipe with 50% overlaps and few inches above the slab. It creates space between pipe and concrete that will allow the pipe to move freely during seismic activities. Sometimes, and if you get lucky, Home Depot sells the wrap in short lengths. Otherwise, go to Ferguson Enterprises and buy a whole roll. All 600 feet of it...
    Kingcharger Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 15, 2008, 09:26 PM
    Thank you for the answer I really appreciate it. Does every thing else that I am doing sound right.
    Plumbing Expert

Sep 15, 2008, 09:57 PM
    I assume that 3" existing sewer pipe is horizontal pipe....

Use 3x2 Y with 2" street 45. This combination will give you proper transition angle for horizontal connection - as per Calif. Plumbing Code. Install 2"clean out above the slab. Continue to the sink. At the sink, you should have 2 x 1 1/2" San T. Sink has to have a vent. If you can, continue upwards with vent and reconnect with existing vent. If not possible, use AAV vent.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 16, 2008, 05:26 AM
    Sink has to have a vent. If you can, continue upwards with vent and reconnect with existing vent. If not possible, use AAV vent.
    Milo, Aren't AAV's outlawed under UPC? And doesn't the new code mandate a three inch drain for a kitchen drain line? Regards, Tom
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Sep 16, 2008, 03:20 PM
    Upc only requires 2 inch ks drain. Also does not allow aav, but each state can override codes if they so choose. I have no idea what cali state codes are on aavs. I know ND allows aavs, but Montana doesn't. Both are under UPC. I would persoanally never recommend an auto vent, they only work one way and like it or not, will eventually fail. Just an opinion.
    Oh, and milo is right. Do not pour concrete directly over pipe. If you have enough depth, just cover with gravel and then poor. Then you only need to wrap the pipe coming out of the floor.
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Sep 16, 2008, 03:22 PM
    Let me know if they have in fact changed the 2inch to three inch for ks drain. If so my cec instructor is definateley getting a call from me soon. Lol
    Plumbing Expert

Sep 16, 2008, 07:56 PM
    AAV vent is not allowed in So.California.

As far as 3" washer / kitchen sink drain goes: today, we just started row of new track houses in San Juan Capistrano. Blueprints call for 2" pipe for kitchen and washer drains...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to pour concrete over existing patio slab [ 5 Answers ]

We want to expand our kitchen out over an existing patio concrete slab. Approximately 7ft by 14ft. To bring the area level to the house, we will need to pour the new concrete 2 inches deep. How should we prep the area? Our plan is to lay a moisture barrier on top of the new slab and glue...

Pour a concrete floor: do it myself or hire a pro? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a sloped concrete floor that I want to 'level' to support a sauna. The floor area is 4' x 8', and the sauna area is 4' x 7'. There's a drain on one side. My thought is to level the floor buy pouring a couple of inches of a quick dry concrete like Ardex K-15...

Moving tub drain in concrete slab [ 1 Answers ]

We are remodeling our master bath and we need to move the tub drain from the back center to the left hand side. Would there be a problem if we need to put the pvc lines across the back with an L and to the left had drain. The existing drain is centered on the back wall from the old garden tub,...

Moving a toilet on a concrete slab [ 2 Answers ]

I am planning a bathroom remodel with a limited budget. My house has a concrete slab foundation. I would like to either move the toilet entirely to a new location or rotate the toilet 90 degrees. Would this require extensive plumbing renovation? Lily

Moving Bathtub across room on a concrete slab [ 1 Answers ]

I am considering changing the location of my bathtub. I'd like to replace it with a whirlpool garden-style tub, and move it over to another wall. On the new wall the drain end of the tub would butt against the existing freestanding shower. This would require breaking through the slab to...

View more questions Search