Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BigJG Posts: 29, Reputation: 3

Sep 15, 2008, 10:38 AM
    Do women like geeks and nerds?
    I'm almost 30 and have never had a girlfriend. So I'm thinking no, but I might be wrong. Maybe it's just me. I'm the fat nerd type, not the skinny.
    jjwoodhull Posts: 1,378, Reputation: 239
    Ultra Member

Sep 15, 2008, 10:40 AM
    Everyone is attracted to something different. But I would say that most mature women are looking for a nice, honest guy with a sense of humor. Women also like men who are self confident.
    danielnoahsmommy Posts: 2,506, Reputation: 297
    Ultra Member

Sep 15, 2008, 10:40 AM
    Do you have potential. Can you improve yourself. Lets put it this way, I dated the buff good looking guys in college, who did I end up with a nerd. As you grow older around late 20's 30's women will see your potential and wise up as long as you are a
    "smart nerd" who is employable.
    Ultra Member

Sep 15, 2008, 10:49 AM
    Do you have any close friends that are female? Matbe you can ask them what you can do to improve yourself (clothing, hair) try an online dating service! You can get to know someone on line and like you before they even see you. This is how I met my hubby!

Sep 15, 2008, 11:35 AM
    I pretty much keep to myself and don't do anything besides work and relax when I'm not working.
    jjwoodhull Posts: 1,378, Reputation: 239
    Ultra Member

Sep 15, 2008, 11:45 AM
    If you don't put yourself out there you will never meet anyone. Join a club. If you are more of the shy, smart type then a book club might be a good idea for you.

Sep 15, 2008, 03:31 PM
    I'm about as anti social as they get. I don't even know why I asked this question.
    Ultra Member

Sep 15, 2008, 04:09 PM
    You don't paint a pretty picture. Maybe it's time for some therapy?

Sep 15, 2008, 04:27 PM
    I think I'd rather stay in the situation I'm in rather than seeing Dr. Phil.
    Ultra Member

Sep 15, 2008, 05:35 PM
    WHO SAID DR PHIL. Y you don't seem happy and perhaps you are a little depressed. You sound very lonely.

Sep 15, 2008, 05:56 PM
    Haha. I just used his name as a generalization for any shrink out there. I didn't mean him personally. But someday I may have to give in and go see one. I do have the insurance now from work to cover it. I'm just not fond of them is all.
    Ultra Member

Sep 15, 2008, 05:58 PM
    Its always good to talk to someone. If you don't do something soon you may be alone for a very long time

Sep 15, 2008, 06:15 PM
    Sometimes I think that may be for the best.
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Sep 15, 2008, 06:16 PM
    I heart nerds. I married one and we have grown fat together over the years!

Since you were motivated enough to post, you are motivated enough to want something different. What you have been doing isn't working, so it is time for a change.

Counselors aren't as bad as you think. My hubby and I have been going to one for a few months to kind of get back on track. It helps to have someone tell you that you aren't crazy and help you with areas that need work.

I have battled depression all my adult life and can tell you that being inactive can feed into it and make you not want to leave the house or do anything. You would be surprised how adding a 15 brisk walk every day can add to your confidence and outlook on life.

I joined a dancing class. I'm no willowy gal, but I have a great time doing it. Find something similar whether it be a book club, hobby, learning to fly - whatever - as long as it interests you. You'll meet people and then all kinds of good things can happen.
    jrsg Posts: 560, Reputation: 67

Sep 15, 2008, 06:49 PM
    The problem is yourself confidence.
    Reading your posts is even making me sad...

Your words:
    "Fat nerd type" "Anti Social" "Keep to myself"
    Yourself confidence is just too low. (A shrink could help with that... )

You calling yourself anti-social tells me you know what the problem is. The problem is you are anti-social, and you have a low self-esteem.

How do you expect to get a girlfriend if you "keep to yourself?"

Different girls are attracted to different things. Some girls like the jocks, sure. But some are attracted to brains. You just need to find the ones that are attracted to brains. BUT, that won't happen if you "keep to yourself!"

You need to realize that you have something desirable by EVERYONE! BRAINS! Who doesn't want to be smart? You should be proud of your nerdiness! When you realize this, maybe then you can raise yourself confidence.

I am sure you are a funny, charming, SMART guy! But, people don't see that when you "keep to yourself."

Now...
    I'm sure you have realized the amount of times I have referenced your saying that you "KEEP TO YOURSELF!!!" This is the problem, along with self esteem. Once you can talk to other people, and meet some other people (including girls), you can start dating some!

Please realize that millions would kill for your smarts, and that YOU ARE DESIRABLE! Let some people get to know you!

What I do is try to introduce myself to a different person everyday in high school. It works well. You will meet literally hundreds of people if you do this! You could try this in the workplace, on the bus, or even just on the street.

Another thing I do, to keep myself confidence up, is a little weird. BUT IT WORKS! Every time I leave the house, I look at myself in the mirror, and say, "Who wouldn't want you! grrrrr!" And then I leave. I laugh at it, and I am in a good mood for the day, and myself confidence is up. (Girls like a happy person, too)

So,
    Up yourself confidence. Be more social. I know it's easier said then done, but at least give it shot. What have you got to lose?

Good luck,
    Try some of the advice,
    And let me know how it goes.
    Good luck! :)

Sep 15, 2008, 07:18 PM
    Thanks,

Also,
    Take out a piece of paper, and write down everything you like about yourself. And focus on that list. Think of what is good about yourself, and that will hopefully help yourself confidence.

BUT, after reading alllllll that advice (form myself and others),
    Are you going to apply any of it?
    Are you going to try to be more outgoing?
    And NOT keep to yourself?

At least try to make some new friends, to get used to the idea of being more social.

If you want to change, you have to change your behaviour.

Good luck :)

Sep 15, 2008, 07:32 PM
    To be completely honest with you, that paper would probably be blank. I have put myself in social situations before, but it never works out. I end up leaving and spending time alone where I feel more comfortable. Everything you've said makes sense, but I don't know if I can do it. The only time I would ever talk to strangers would be if I were drinking. I've since stopped drinking because I think my health is more important.

Sep 15, 2008, 07:52 PM
    But, it is just when you said you think your health is more important. Wouldn't you consider your mental, social, and emotional well being as your health? I am not saying drink so you can talk to others, but just talk to others.
    I AM NOT ENCOURAGING YOU TO DRINK. NOT DRINKING IS A GREAT DECISION.

Saying that the paper would be blank is the self confidence thing again. I can list several things about you, and I haven't even met you.
    1. Your SMART!
    2. You care
    3. You make smart decisions (i.e. not drinking)
    4. Your employed

JUST ADD ON! Over the years, you have convinced yourself that there is nothing good about you, which just isn't true at all. Everyone can see that, but you. Even I can see it, even though I have only known you have exsisted for the last hour.

I'm not saying that you should go out tomorrow, and be Mr. Social. But, at least introduce yourself to ONE person at work, and just have a small conversation. EVEN if it is just saying "hi" or "hi, I'm ____."

Please Please Please just try to introduce yourself to one person tomorrow. What have you got to lose? Just try it. Again, I know it is easier said then done, but just try it. Just get out there and do it.

And, by the way, you are talking to several complete strangers right here on this site. Maybe not face to face, and maybe it is a little impersonal, but you are still communicating with strangers! And I like you so far :).

Sep 15, 2008, 08:01 PM
    It might take a long time for any of this to take place. I have other problems that I haven't talked about. If I don't get over those none of this will ever happen.
    friend4u178 Posts: 3,349, Reputation: 1584
    Ultra Member

Sep 15, 2008, 08:25 PM
    You could also try some volunteer work , that way your doing something good for someone else which will make you feel good about yourself , and you'll meet new people while doing it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

What women like [ 27 Answers ]

Hey I was just wondering what girls prefer in guys (looks wise) example.. long or short hair, light or dark hair, facial hair or clean shaven etc etc etc... I know everyone has different taste but was curious to see if there's a majority answer on this, thanks ladies

For all The Maths nerds out there... AKA How large a Prime number do you want. [ 3 Answers ]

The 45th Mersenne prime discovered (possibly) Fans of bountiful digits may soon be rocked by the potential discovery of the 45th known Mersenne prime. Details are still pretty scarce, but on August 23, the Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search (GIMPS) said a computer participating in the project...

Why do straight women fool around with straight women: An open discussion. [ 55 Answers ]

Ever wondered why straight women fool around with other straight (or gay) women? Ever tried it? Ever regretted it? Thoughts?

When Women Lie [ 5 Answers ]

One day, when a seamstress was sewing while sitting close to a river, her thimble fell into the water. When she cried out, the Lord appeared and asked, "My dear child, why are you crying?" The seamstress replied that her thimble had fallen into the water and that she needed it to help her...

For the women [ 4 Answers ]

THE HILLBILLY VASECTOMY After their 11th child, an Alabama couple decided that was enough as they could not afford a larger bed. So the husband went to his veterinarian and told him that he and his cousin didn't want to have any more children. The doctor told him that there was a...

View more questions Search