Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    howardb53 Posts: 28, Reputation: 1

Sep 15, 2008, 05:50 AM
    Cemetery plots
    My family has cemetery plots in a city in Ohio where all my family is buried. No one has deed to plots and there are about 12 plots left the cemetery never asked for proof of ownership when we would burie some family member.know their saying we need a deed to open grave.no one knows where deed is my grand mother bought these plots years ago no one else but are family has ever been buryed there what can we do we don't want these plots just to go to waste thank you
    rockinmommy Posts: 1,123, Reputation: 82
    Ultra Member

Sep 15, 2008, 10:21 AM
    Surely this is not an uncommon issue in cemeteries... can the management of the cemetery not advise you how / where to get a copy of the deed? They should at least be able to tell you where such transactions are recorded.

I'm sorry I don't know the answer - just trying to keep this bumped up for you.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Sep 15, 2008, 10:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by howardb53
    my family has cemetary plots in a city in ohio where all my family is buried. no one has deed to plots and there are about 12 plots left the cemetary never asked for proof of ownership when we would burie some family member.know their saying we need a deed to open grave.no one knows where deed is my grand mother bought these plots years ago no one else but are family has ever been buryed there what can we do we dont want these plots just to go to waste thank you

The cemetery must have records of who purchased the various plots - or at least I would think they do.

Interesting question.

I have made prepaid arrangements and just pulled out my file. I have a Certificate, signed by the President of the Cemetery and notarized with some sort of official seal on it (not a notarial seal of authority), and it simply states that I have paid $X to purchase plot Y for the interment of my husband and me.

I have no Deed or other ownership papers.

I do note two rather interesting things - if anyone else wants to be buried there they need to obtain my written permission as purchaser AND - my at the moment favorite - I am not allowed to enter the cemetery grounds with firearms OR bows and arrows for ANY purpose. This is not a rural cemetery so I have no idea what problems they've had in the past - but I find that interesting.

Oh, I'm also not allowed to put a windmill on my husband's grave - ?
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Sep 15, 2008, 07:08 PM
    Judy, I think the bow and guns are strictly for vandalism purposes. They don't need any more vandalism on the headstones. I've been in very old graveyards from the 1800's and saw the stones broken off at the base from Civil War soldier vandalism. Now the windmill poses real problems as you could essentially pump more water for any stray cattle to drink should they somehow wander into the cemetery in the middle of the city.

Howard, I know firsthand how nutty Ohio can be. Would suggest that you contact them about the "deed" to your cemetery plots well before they are needed. If they issued them, they should have a record of grandma buying them.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Gift of plots [ 7 Answers ]

This might not be the best place for this, but anyway.. Having gone to a wake on Friday and a funeral on Monday, the topic of funerals reared its ugly head in my household. As of now I have made no provisions for them (personally, I'd prefer to be cremated and kept at home in an urn). My wife...

Living above a cemetery [ 1 Answers ]

We built our home about two yrs ago.From early on things started happening.This land had never been developed by anyone till we moved here.I've found out there were settlers here.I'm what you would call a sensitive,my middle son who is 25 is one as well,my great grandmother,grandmother and mother...

Can a funeral director from tn take a body to a VA. Cemetery in Maryland? [ 1 Answers ]

The Funeral director needs to know if he can deliver a deceased person to a Veterans cemetery in Maryland without involving a Maryland funeral director.

View more questions Search