Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    champdaddy1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 14, 2008, 09:27 PM
    Access Files on a USB connected Hard Drive
    I am trying to access files on a Toshiba 60GB laptop hard drive that I removed from a laptop that has bitten the dust.

I have connected it via a USB cable with a 2.5" hard drive enclosure.

I can open up the drive via My Computer on the desktop I am using but the personal files(pictures, music, videos, etc.) are not accessible under Documents and Settings tab of the drive. My laptop did have password protection on startup. I can see the files under each of the other folders, such as Administrator and All Users, but my person files are showing Access Denied when I try to click on the folder bearing my username.

When I move the mouse pointer over the folder icon it shows no files, but I know there are numerous music and photo files in this folder.

I am trying to move these to the desktop I am hooked to, again via USB, and then format this laptop drive and use it as a backup external drive.

Any suggestions on accessing the "missing" files?
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Sep 14, 2008, 11:03 PM
    For the most likely cause, NTFS file permissions now incorrect due to moving the drive to another machine, right-click the folder bearing your username and choose 'Properties'. Select the 'Security' tab. Verify the user account that you logged into the computer with is listed or a member of one of the groups listed. If not, add the account via the 'Add' button, and set permissions as desired. Since you don't already have access, you will probably need to log-off and log back in using an Administrator account.

Otherwise, if the permissions appear to be correct, did the laptop have any encryption hardware or software active?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I also need to retrieve files from hard drive. [ 3 Answers ]

In follow-up and conjunction with another question posted here, I, too, have a NTFS hard drive from another laptop computer that I need to access/salvage. I have already connected it via a USB drive enclosure (USB 2.0 to IDE). It still did not assign a drive letter; all right-click options are...

Viewing files on your hard drive [ 12 Answers ]

How do you clean up your computer like getting rid of useless or unwanted files,images,progammes. Also how do you view the files on your hard drive

Can no longer access hard drive [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, experts! My Athlon XP 2200 computer with XP home developed a series of faults which ultimately led to it's freezing. While attempting to waken it I must have inadvertently started some unknown process as a brief message was shown on the screen saying something like "to continue will render...

How to access second hard drive [ 1 Answers ]

I hate to think I'm dense but I don't know how to access the answered questions, for that matter I don't know how to introduce myself either. (can I really be that dense?) I have two hard drives installed. My Computer shows it as drives C & F (I also have two CD/DVD and floppy installed. At one...

Cannot access my 2nd hard drive! [ 1 Answers ]

I was online when my computer froze up and I had to shut it down. Ever since I cannot access my additional hard drive. It appears in "My Computer" but when I try to open it I get the following error: "D:\ is not accessible. A device attached to the system is not functioning." Under the...

View more questions Search