Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shali26 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 14, 2008, 09:33 AM
    Moving from USA to Canada - need to break lease.
    Hi There,

I work in software industry, I just signed this lease two months back, unfortunately my project got freezed in USA and my company wants me to move to Canada.

I checked with my landloard ( leasing office). They say that if I break the lease then I will have to pay lease breakage charges and the rent till they rent this apartment.

Is there any way they wave me these charges ?

Please advise.

Thanks for your help.
    S
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Sep 14, 2008, 09:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by shali26
    Hi There,

I work in software industry, I just signed this lease two months back, unfortunately my project got freezed in USA and my company wants me to move to Canada.

I checked with my landloard ( leasing office). they say that if I break the lease then I will have to pay lease breakage charges and the rent till they rent this apartment.

Is there any way they wave me these charges ?

Please advise.

Thanks for your help.
    S

Are there are stated reasons to legally break the lease written into the lease?

If not - probably not. What they are asking is not unusual.
    rockinmommy Posts: 1,123, Reputation: 82
    Ultra Member

Sep 14, 2008, 11:49 AM
    I agree. What they're telling you is standard procedure.

Have you approached your employer. THEY are requiring you to move - is there not any sort of relocation package? You may have to ask for it if it's not offered, but it's not uncommon for companies to help employees out with moving costs - which includes fees to break a lease.
    shali26 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 14, 2008, 07:03 PM
    Thanks for answers, my employer does have relocation package, however, they will just give me one months rent.

However, as per the agreement clause I will have to pay the rent of an apartment till they get another tenant. My company will not give me this money ? And if I do not pay that they will spoil my rent history.

Please do let me know if you have any legal consultants who can help me out..

Thanks
    S.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Moving from California to Toronto, Canada [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I will be moving from Ontario, California to Toronto Canada very soon. I have been offered employment in Toronto but am in need of a Temporary Work Permit. I have been searching and trying to figure out if I should get a Temporary Work Permit and a Temporary Resident Visa or try to...

Moving to Belleville,in Canada [ 1 Answers ]

Hi,my name is Carl I am a 30 y old mald and I am moving to Belleville in Canada soon,can anyone tell me a good website to make new friends over there please Carl

Lease Termination Question (NJ) - 3 Room-mates on Lease , 1 Is not sure of moving out [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, We are three room-mates sharing a apartment and the lease expires Jan 31,2007. We got a notice to renew the lease last month and need to respond by the 21st of December (this month). Me and one of my other roomie wants to move out and the third roomie is still not sure of moving out. ...

Moving out in canada for teens [ 4 Answers ]

How old you you have to be to move out in Canada, B.C People have told me its 16 but I have to be imasupated from my parents Some say you just got to be 16 How old and what's the terms?:confused:

View more questions Search