Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    poochilini Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 14, 2008, 08:15 AM
    My dog won't eat after being ill and losing his mate
    My mum one Sunday took the dogs for a walk, it was a hot day and they both ended up getting very sick, one died on our kitchen floor, the other was taken to the vet where we were told it was heat exhaustion. He was put on a drip and the like, since then he was been a different dog. He won't eat and is very sad. He is old for his breed but always eat fine before hand. He sniffs at the food but is not interested in it, My parebts have been putting food involuntary in his mouth for the last two weeks, but he has lost so much weight, and he was never a particularly big dog in the first place. He is a chow chow by breed and is about 11 years old. Im looking after him whilst my parents are way, and he won't let me put food in his mouth, I'm so worried and I just want him to start eating again, I know he must be really depressed, as he seems so sad. Please help someone, I'm fearful he will die, I have him for 2 weeks and I just want to get him eating again, he can't afford to loose any more weight. He is a very healthy and strong dog that's how he survived the heat exhaustion. Thanks
    Mapleleafpete Posts: 125, Reputation: 4

Sep 14, 2008, 01:48 PM
    Have you tried feeding him people food? Try weiners or bolona,ham,stuff like that.
    poochilini Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 14, 2008, 11:24 PM
    Hi, yer we have tried pretty much everything, he used to love ham and other cooked meats but he is just not interested at all. I put his bowl down at dinner time for 15 minutes. He was not interested so we took it away and put it down during the night as he has time to himself and I thought he might eat a little. My husband thinks he may have eat one small piece yet I'm not so sure. WE are so worried about him, he can't afford to loose any more weight and I'm so worried that when my parets come back he might not be here. I am grateful for any suggestions, thanks
    linnealand Posts: 1,088, Reputation: 216
    Ultra Member

Sep 15, 2008, 03:21 AM
    I don't know if this will work for you, but when my cat stopped eating I had to feed him by mouth with a syringe (needle removed!). Our vet suggested it. We mixed baby food with water, and he would swallow it that way. He wouldn't eat it anymore from his bowl.

Definitely ask your vet for suggestions. If he agrees to baby food, make sure it's not made with onions.

Your vet might also be able to supply you with calorie rich supplements (vita-cal).

It sounds like he's grieving. :(
    Gemmagreen Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 24, 2009, 05:16 AM
    DOGS OFF THEIR FOOD^^^^^^^^WARNING TO ALL OWNERS

Its been a long hot summer Water Tables are low (ish) and of course little rain (in my area).
    My 14 month old Black Lab [Sam] (Fit - Healthy - Full of Life and would eat all and everything given the chance).

He went for his second swim just ten ago (loves it) just eight days after this swim and after his first meal in the morning - brought the lot uo and more over a period of 18 hrs or so - weight loss being dramatic and 'very' worrying.

At the VETS is was put on a drip overnight + injections - the following morning he did eat (a little) and drink - he came back home with medicines and clear instructions that I should follow with/for him as he felt that it was his 'LIVER' ether an infection or Tumor... sadly that the situation did NOT improve but rather he did'en want to eat or drink and when he did he would be sick again.

The Vet called (out of the blue) the following pm to look at him etc, etc, - we also discussed my Labs activities/habbits (again) and I mentioned swimming as part of his enjoyments - prior to the VET leaving he injected him and said he would be back he little later during the day...

The BOTTOM-LINE to this and be it a WARNING to ALL... Swimming Yes that's fine (so long of course that there is water movement)... but think and look at the 'all' the types of wild life that live in/on the banks of the river(s) WATER RATS being prime. Sam after his swim went sniffing up and down the bank and contracted a VIRUS from Rats Pee which had attacked his liver - water tables low little or no rain it all stacks up.. if I can get him to drink and eat just a little but often (like a cat) he and I will pull through but its going to be a 'very long haul' to full recovery but more than worth it.

Please feel free to email me if you'd like further information
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Sep 24, 2009, 06:10 AM

While that information was very interesting Gemmagreen it had nothing to do with the original post and this thread is over a year old.
    Please check the dates before responding to posts and if you have new information you would like to share create you own topic.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Sep 24, 2009, 11:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by shazamataz View Post
    While that information was very interesting Gemmagreen it had nothing to do with the original post and this thread is over a year old.
    Please check the dates before responding to posts and if you have new information you would like to share create you own topic.

And I'll add that there is a vaccination to prevent what "Gemmagreen" has posted. Otherwise, yes, time to close.

I always wonder why people show up, post once, disappear - ?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Cat won't eat, losing weight [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, last Friday my cat was throwing up green bile was not eating or drinking and just hiding and she meowed when I picked her up, we took her to the vet she had a temperature of 106 and she had an infection so the vet gave us some antibiotics and some nutrience, slowly she started getting better...

My ex and my best mate? [ 13 Answers ]

Okay, So I broke up with my ex-girlfriend around 2 months ago. She was the one that dumped me and subsequently its been a tough time. While we don't hate each other were are doing the No Contact rule in order to allow things to heal. I have not healed yet, not by far, I still have feelings for...

Guy mate [ 2 Answers ]

There iz this guy that I really like an we are bezzi mates but he is 3 years older than me an I fancy him but he is going out wiv sum1 else... HELP!:confused:

View more questions Search