Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    AKaeTrue Posts: 1,599, Reputation: 272
    Ultra Member

May 13, 2006, 12:01 AM
    Frigidaire
    Does anyone know who the bran name maker of Frigidaire appliances might be and whether they're any good, reliable etc, etc?
    Thanks for any info,
    Kae
    applguy Posts: 324, Reputation: 23

May 15, 2006, 06:55 PM
    Frigidaire appliances are built by Frigidaire. The company that owns Frigidaire is Electrolux. Other brands included here are Gibson, White-Westinghouse, Kelvinator, etc. These brands certainly do meet a price point in the appliance market, but they have never been extremely high in quality or lifespan. It all depends on your expectations. If you need something to get you through for a while, these might be good choices. If you're looking for something to run for many years, it's probably not a great idea. It also would make a difference as to what kind of appliance you're considering, because different manufacturers seem to do better with some machines than others. Let me know if you have any further questions.
    Ultra Member

May 18, 2006, 10:25 PM
    Hi applguy,
    The reason I'm asking is because I have a Frigidaire Fridge model # FRS23R4CB2 and there is something behind the panel in the freezer building ice up on it eventually the fan starts chopping into it. The noise from the motor or fan sounds like a small lawn mower. Sometimes when this is happening the water dispenser will not work, other times it will. I'll unplug it for a bit and when I plug it back in, you can still hear the noise for a little while before it goes away. You can actually hear the fan chopping the melting ice away - then there is no more noise.
    I called a repair place and asked about a shut off valve (had similar prob. Years ago with different fridge). The guy said it didn't sound like a shut off valve and wants to came look at it for $75. I thought I'd get a second opinion or any advise at all would be great.
    (the water filter needs to be changed - could that be causing the problem?)
    Thanks applguy for taking the time - you are appreciated.
    Kae

May 19, 2006, 06:33 PM
    I don't think it's a filter or valve problem, either. To me, it sounds like you have an excessive amount of frost or ice developing around the evaporator fan motor; once it gets so high, the evaporator fan blade starts hitting it. The first question I would ask is do you have to do anything to stop the noise, or does it stop on its own? How often does it make the noise? Does your refrigerator have an ice maker in it?
    Ultra Member

May 21, 2006, 03:11 AM
    Yes there is an ice maker and yes I have to unplug it for a while to let the ice that the fan is hitting melt a bit. Once it has melted a bit it (the ice) is brittle enough that the fan knocks it off then it's quiet. This happens every day. Use to, it was once every few days, but as time goes by the more frequently it happens .

May 22, 2006, 06:49 PM
    You'll have to take off the evaporator cover (lower part of rear freezer wall) to see if its ice or frost that is hitting the fan, which is located right above the evaporator coil behind that panel. If its ice, it may be coming from the ice maker fill tube. If it's frost (or a combo of the two) it may be a defrost problem. Let me know what you see.
    Ultra Member

May 25, 2006, 12:25 AM
    Thank you for helping me out on this.
    I see ice - there is some on the fan blades too.

May 27, 2006, 12:28 PM
    I wouldn't worry too much about what's on the blades themselves as any frozen moisture will sublimate once the problem is rectified anyway, as long as the blades aren't broken. Did the ice begin to form above the evaporator coil and evaporator fan (as if coming from something above them, such as the ice maker fill tube), or does it appear to be "growing" from below? Can you estimate how thick the frost on the evaporator coil was when you first took off the cover, and whether the entire coil was (or is) frosted or just part of it?
    gagal Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 9, 2011, 05:04 PM
    We have had two Frigidaire upright freezers and lost freezers full of meat. Both were less than 5 years old. The freon is inside the walls according to a tech and when it starts leaking, has to be replaced. Will NEVER have another Frigidaire.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Frigidaire Dryer squeaking [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Frigidaire dryer Model# FDE797IEWI. The dryer squeaks, mostly when starting and for the first few minutes while operating

Carrier vs. Frigidaire? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a few quotes from some a/c companies to put a new system in my house because my current system is 20+ years old and is working against me at this point. I have propane heat and want to get electric because of the rising gas prices. The total sq. footage is approx 2600... the two estimates...

Frigidaire Dryer not getting hot [ 0 Answers ]

Okay, after reading everything I can find, especially information from appleguy, I'm looking at one of two possible fuses for why the dryer isn't heating up. Looking at the parts manual, I can't figure out which of 2 it might be: 1. Thermostat,Safety Or 2. Thermal Limiter

Frigidaire front loader [ 1 Answers ]

My basement recently flodded and I think it damaged the front loading washer I have. When I plugged it back in it seems to work, but the washer doesn't spin... it just fills with water and then nothing... no washing, no spinning.. no nothing! How can this be repaired ?:(

View more questions Search