Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    2008princess200 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 13, 2008, 07:14 PM
    Reconnecting dimmer switch to outlet and wall wire
    In box there are two main wires: one has white black and copper grounding wire, Other has white, black, red, and grounding wire, dimmer has green grounding wire, black and red. How do I reconnect them properly?
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Sep 13, 2008, 07:48 PM
    How were they connected before?
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Sep 13, 2008, 08:11 PM
    Pull the outlet and tell us what's there.
    2008princess200 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 13, 2008, 08:32 PM
    One wire is going to outlet, dimmer to light. It appears that this box has two wires coming in... main source and a connector to the outlet. I had them labeled and when a handyman did the sheetrocking, he took the notes off. I got it to have the lights on and outlet on, however, I cannot turn OFF the switch.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Sep 14, 2008, 02:47 PM
    Is this dimmer switch and the outlet in the same box?

A wire is a single wire, a cable is two or more wires in an outer covering.
    If I understand correctly you have two cables in the box. One has a black and a white wire and one has a red, black and white.

What kind of light does the switch control, just a light or a fan/ light.

Do you have any outlets that do not work?

Do you have a test light or meter to find out which wire is hot?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Installing outlet from existing wall switch [ 12 Answers ]

I have a switch that controls an outside light. It is at the end of the run. I want to run an outlet inside the garage from that switch. I want the outlet to only have power when the switch is on. There are two black wires attached to the switch and the two white wires are connected with a wire nut...

Confused: 2 or 3 wire wall switch for Fan Control [ 9 Answers ]

Hello, I am buying a new house (new construction) and I have a question regarding fan controls. I bought hunter fans (augusta III) and Hunter Ceiling fan controls (27182). The control says it is for a 3 wire wall switch. Is that how switches are normally wired and will these controls work...

Harbor breeze fan / Dimmer switch wall control [ 1 Answers ]

Hello. I recently purchased a Harbor Breeze ceiling fan and a light/fan dual dimmer switch from Lowe's. We had both installed and it seemed to have worked fine for a week. Then I smelled something that smelled like burning copper(?) and realized that it was the switch that was installed in the...

Reversed Dimmer and Outlet [ 4 Answers ]

Hi There! We just moved into a small, older (80 years?) apartment building and know very little about the wiring. I suspect some of it MIGHT be knob and tube, but I'm sure. Anyway, the light in the bathroom is on a dimmer that is on the wall outside the room. Inside the bathroom there is an...

Need assistance wiring ceiling fan/light to wall switch with dimmer [ 2 Answers ]

The celing outlet has one 3-conductor wire running to the wall outlet (black, white, red, ground). I hooked up the celing fan's white to outlet's white, the ground to ground and then ceiling fan's black to black. I also hooked the fan's light wiring (blue) to the outlet black. FAN OUTLET...

View more questions Search