Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    red grasshopper12 Posts: 238, Reputation: 3

Sep 13, 2008, 05:59 PM
    Dangerous Hurricanes
    I was wondering what was the most dangerous hurricane ever?
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Sep 13, 2008, 06:03 PM
    There was a very dangerous hurricaine in Miami back in the 1920's that wrecked havoc in South Florida. Also the hurricaine that wrecked Galveston in the early 1900's. Hurricaine Andrew was a horrible hurricaine of 1992 that wrecked Florida. I don't know which other hurricaines were worse than these but you can add Hurricaine Betsy, Hurricaine Carla and a few others to the list of horrible Hurricaines.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Sep 13, 2008, 06:32 PM
    Don't forget Katrina, she was a category 5, which is the highest of all categories.
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Sep 21, 2008, 11:53 PM
    -----------------------
    Historic Hurricanes--Some Of The Most Powerful Storms On Record.
    To give you an idea of the strength and devastation associated with these storms, below is a listing of some of the most memorable hurricanes since pre-colonial times. While the number of casualties from these storms have gone down over the years, the cost from the damage caused by these storms have risen tremendously. That has resulted from more building along the coastline, and more expensive homes and businesses.

* Hurricane of July, 1502--Was a storm that the great explorer and discoverer of American, Christopher Columbus, predicted would strike the island of Hispanola. He used his prediction to warn the Governor of Hispanola, Nicholas de Ovando, who had 30 ships in his fleet set sail back to Spain. However, the governor ignored him, and refused Columbus' request to stay in port at Santo Domingo. Within two days the storm struck in the Mona Passage between Hispanola and Puerto Rico, and sank 21 of the 30 ships, and killed approximately 500 sailors.

* Tempest of 1609--At the time that the first ever colony in the United States was being developed, a strong hurricane menaced the Western Atlantic in the weeks following the departure of a fleet with 500 colonists left Great Britain for the New World. The ships then met with the maelstrom head on, and scattering all the vessels. Most were able to survive the onslaught of Mother Nature except for the flagship of the fleet, the Sea Venture, which was deposited in the infamous "Isle of Devils." Nevertheless, those who were on the ship still managed to reach shore, and received a much better fate than those, who had already situated themselves in the colony. The story of the Sea Venture was the basis of William Shakespeare's play, The Tempest.

* Colonial Hurricane of 1635--Was a powerful New England hurricane that struck the Massachusetts Bay Colony in 1635 some fifteen years after the Mayflower struck land at Plymouth Rock. This storm had reminded many of the pilgrims and settlers of past hurricanes that struck in the West Indies or Caribbean. Many of the pilgrims believed that this storm was apocalyptic.

* 1667--The Year Of The Hurricane--At a time when the Mid-Atlantic states of North Carolina, Virginia, and Maryland agreed to temporarily halt production of tobacco, a strong hurricane ripped through the Mid-Atlantic region on August 27th. While there was no recorded statistics such as where the storm made landfall, its track, and its forward speed and intensity. It destroyed 80 percent of the tobacco and corn while destroying some 15,000 homes in Virginia and Maryland.

Please follow link for more information..
    -------------------------------------------
    FlyYakker Posts: 378, Reputation: 41

Oct 20, 2008, 06:21 PM

A bit late here, but for the record, while Katrina at one point was a Cat 5 storm, she was A Cat 3 or at most a low Cat 4 when she hit New Orleans. We can only guess what a truly powerful storm will do to New Orleans.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Does hurricanes contains salt water? [ 4 Answers ]

Hurricanes usually start as tropical depressions over the Africa coastline. Drawing moist Atlantic Ocean moisture. Then travel westward still drawing Atlantic moisture upward into the atmosphere gaining strength until it becomes a hurricane. Does the atmosphere and the stormy weather it creates...

This is big, but is it dangerous? [ 6 Answers ]

This spider has been living large in my yard in Katy Texas for a few months now. It is around 2 -3 inches in length. Hard to measure as I'm really frightened by it. Is is a harmful fellow? I have no plans to touch it, but the kids and dogs may be in danger. The yellow and black stripes on the body...

Calicum. When is too much and dangerous. [ 4 Answers ]

Okay reactly I been having weirde problems peein like I can go it doesn't hurt or anything but I always will have the feeling like I have to go to the bathroom.. I try to go sometimes and its just a little bit.. than ill go for a good one and its almost like its cut short.. I've been eating very...

Dangerous appliances [ 3 Answers ]

In what cases does the landlord breach the lease agreement. My family and I have not been living here long but since day one we have been back and forth with the air conditoner unit tripping the breaker. We were told by our landlord on numerous occasions to flip it back; later learning that was...

Emo dangerous? [ 32 Answers ]

I know a 13 year old who claims emo, she writes terrible stories about murder, blood, rape and more, she says she cuts herself, but I am hundreds of miles away and only have recently met her through my husband, (its his sister) he thinks she disturbed, and tries to talk to her to get to know her...

View more questions Search