Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tvlexpl Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 13, 2008, 05:49 AM
    Credit Card debt for Nursing home mother
    My mother is in a nursing home since April, 08. She is on Medicaid and the state takes her Social Security and a little pension. She has NO assets. She has a 40K credit card debt and just received a summons regarding it. It asks for a proper answer. What kind of an answer do I provide the court.

THX
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Sep 13, 2008, 06:25 AM
    Hello tv:

At this point in time, a judgment against your mother isn't going to do her any harm. There's no assets to get. There's no wage to garnish. There isn't a credit rating to protect. Plus, the judgment won't survive her, so YOU don't have to worry about YOUR assets. Therefore, in my view, there's no downside to doing NOTHING.

If you wish, you might write the attorney a letter telling him of your mothers situation. But, he might not care, or he might not believe you. So what? You're just trying to do HIM a favor by saving him legal fees that he'll never recover.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Credit Card debt elderly retired mom dad in nursing home [ 2 Answers ]

My dad is about to enter a nursing home with the assistance of medicaid. My mom will be seeling her house and has some equity in her house, but that is all she has, other than her fixed income check, to survive until it is her time to enter the retirement home. SHe is only 62. They have a line of...

My 74 yr old Mother on SS with Credit Card Debt [ 2 Answers ]

My mother is 74 years old. Her only income is Social Security. She has a debt with a credit card company that was "charged off" but has now been sold to a collection agency. They are starting the "scare tactics" on her and she is extremely worried. She rents an apartment, doesn't own any...

Credit Card Debt of Senior Mother [ 2 Answers ]

When my father passed away in 1996, he left my mother with significant debt - near $120K. They had no savings, no investments but just a paid house which she sold and applied to the debt. I had been assisting them for 20 years prior with money each month (due to the fact that my father was...

Home equity to pay credit card debt [ 1 Answers ]

I currently live in a home owned by my parents. The remaining mortgage on this house is very low, leaving significant equity. I have significant credit card debt and would like to be added to the house deed so that I can open a home equity account and be able to claim the interest on my taxes. ...

View more questions Search