Ask
    sim0nzzz123 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 13, 2008, 05:02 AM
    Gradient of tangent
    Hi there,

How would I solve this?

A tangent to the hyperbola y=1/(2x) , x>0 cuts the y- axis at the point y=2
    Find the gradient of this tangent?

If I differentiate the hyperbola, I would get -1/(2x^2) and then I don't know how to go on about doing it.

Thanks
    galactus Posts: 2,271, Reputation: 282
    Ultra Member

Sep 13, 2008, 11:18 AM
    We are told that the line passes through y=2. When y=2, then x=0.

So, the line passes through (0,2), but we do not know where it is tangent to the curve.

We can use

Differentiating, we find the slope is and we know

So, let's plug everything in and solve for x.

Now, solve for x and plug that value into your derivative to find the slope at that point.

Then, if you want to go further, find the equation of the tangent line.
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Gradient (light on top to dark ends) auburn hair color [ 4 Answers ]

Hi! I've been dyeing my hair various shades of red for the past 10 years (it's naturally dirty blonde). I always wait probably 2-3 months between colorings, when my roots are very obvious & it HAS to be done, but I know the longer I wait, the better it probably is for my hair. Also, I've been...

Going off on a tangent [ 27 Answers ]

Hi everyone, Okay, it was my suggestion to start a different post so that we can stop second guessing ourselves on the "Is my boyfriend cheap" post, so I guess I'm stuck following up on it. I'm going to try and be as specific about this as I can, but since this is not based on an actual ...

Finding a vertical tangent when x = ? [ 1 Answers ]

(x^2) - xy + (y^3) = 10 has a vertical tangent when x = ? I believe I have to take the derivative, by implicit differentiation, but I don't know what to do next. Or I could be wrong..

Delusions tangent to religion q below [ 26 Answers ]

If religion is a delusion then it should be recodnized as one and treated All delusions are harmfull in some whay Delusions even bening ones prevent a person from the truth From learning and evolving I don't know what the point of life is but I doubt it is to live in your own personal delusion

Wild Tangent [ 4 Answers ]

I recently ran SPYBOT and it picked up 3 suspect problems - FAST CLICK - DSO EXPLOIT and WILD TANGENT. Spybot seemed to deal with the first two satisfactorily but on boot up I keep getting a message telling me that Wild Tangent cannot be located and gives the full C\Program\Wild...

View more questions Search