Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kdsaffron Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 12, 2008, 10:17 PM
    76 VW bug w/ 69 air-cooled engine, won't start
    My question is the following:

I have a 1976 VW Bug that has a 1969 air-cooled engine. However, my now ex husband fiddled with it and now I can't get it to run... before it was a daily driver that got about 40mi to the gal. I'd like to go back to that. I've not driven the car in a while, due to health reasons.

So now, I'd like to get her back on the road so everyone can say"Punch buggy Blue", lol
    But it won't start. I know the battery needs to be charged up, and that I can do, I have a charger, but what about the fuel line... I can't find it on this car, not sure what has been done.

Any suggestions?

Thank you,

Karen
    Mapleleafpete Posts: 125, Reputation: 4

Sep 13, 2008, 05:56 AM
    How long has the bug been sitting Karen? Charge up the battery.Does it have a manual choke,the pull out type or is it a automatic choke? If its manual pull it out and start cranking for about ten seconds then push it in,it should fire up,adjust the pull choke as needed to keep the car going.If it a auto choke step on the gas be4 you start cranking it over,it mite take a few turns if the car has been sitting for awhile,you may even have to pump the gas a few times to get her going. Try that then let us no, good luck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why engine won't start [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I have just gotten a used MTD 9Hp/27.5 yardbug riding lawn mower. I am wondering what has been the experience of some of your readers as to the quality of this riding mower. I have reading some reviews on the internet and wanted to try and get some first hand feedback from someone who has...

Warm engine will not restart until cooled [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 88' craftsman 16hp mower. Once warmed up after running and then I shut it off to do something, it will not restart until thoroughly cooled off. Today I noticed it's in-line fuel filter was empty. I pressurized the tank to force fuel down the line but it still would not start when warm. Any...

6.5 HP BS Engine will not start [ 1 Answers ]

Here's what I know: - Engine is on Troy Bilt mower that I have had for several years. It has never not started. - I have good air to the engine (removed the filter just to make sure) - I have good spark (checked it with plug out of engine) - Don't know about gas flow but it primes OK...

View more questions Search