Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    AceH Posts: 25, Reputation: 1

May 11, 2006, 06:09 PM
    Electrical Work?
    Is it pretty much standard procedure for a construction company to have a non-licensed person do electriccal work then have a licensed electrician check it to make sure it's done right and sign for the work?
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

May 11, 2006, 09:25 PM
    Yes it is done. Now I will not say it is standard around here but it does happen. The contractor usually saves money doing it this way. As a certified electrical safety inspector I do not care for this at all.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

May 12, 2006, 02:42 AM
    Check with your local and state laws regarding licensing of the trades. Each state will have specifc laws about who can and cannot do electrical work.

Here in New England states, what you outline can never be done, all wiring must be installed by a licensed worker. Single family homes can be wired by the homeowner.

Rockland County in New York thou, allows any one to wire , a licensed master must inspect and sign off and accept all responsibility. Scary.
    AceH Posts: 25, Reputation: 1

May 12, 2006, 03:24 AM
    Thanks for all the input on this matter.
    JoeJ Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 30, 2013, 06:57 PM
    I would never do what you described. {as a licenensed electrician.}
    In short it is not standard procedure. As a general rule the construction company
    Hires an " Electrician " for a good reason. For a good many reasons, Liability, Insurance, Life safety. Just to name a few
    shuntripper Posts: 180, Reputation: 8

Jan 30, 2013, 06:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    I would never do what you described. {as a licenensed electrician.}
    In short it is not standard procedure. As a general rule the construction company
    Hires an " Electrician " for a good reason. For a good many reasons, Liability, Insurance, Life safety. just to name a few
    Ditto, absolutely illegal here in California.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hot tub electrical nightmare---help [ 8 Answers ]

Does anyone know where I can find the code for wiring a hot tub in Reno, Nevada? I have an electrician taking advantage of the fact I know nothing about this topic & I could really use some help.

Electrical [ 3 Answers ]

1. What determines the ampacity of a wire? 2. what is the maximum spacing between supports for rigid nonmetallic conduit trade size of a. 1 inch b. 2 inch ? 3.what is the difference between type AC and type ACT atmored cables?

Electrical hot tub problem---help! [ 2 Answers ]

Does anyone know how I can find out what the code is for wiring a hot tub in Reno, Nevada? I have an electrician taking advantage of the fact I don't know this stuff & I really need help.

Electrical issue [ 2 Answers ]

:confused: A schematic question -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I am new to the community. I was wondering if someone could give me a little technical advice. My AC motor went out the other day. I went to buy a new one and the new one isn't...

Electrical problem [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 1987 GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 plow truck that will not start.  When you turn the key to start the interior light goes out and it will not start.  You have to let it sit for 24 before the interior light comes on again.  And the cycle goes on,  Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.  Thank You.

View more questions Search